Alum spotlight: Hannah Beckner Seaver (BA ’20) and Nick Seaver (BFA ’19)

Categories
collage photos

Hannah Beckner Seaver, 2020 BA in Theatre, Lighting
Nick Seaver, 2019 BFA in Theatre, Scenic Design

Hannahnbeckner@gmail.com
Nicholas.seaver1@gmail.com

Hannah and Nick are both from Virginia Beach and were both in their high school drama clubs. Hannah remarks, “We probably had met before, but didn’t realize it.” When they got to VCU, they were working on shows together and Nick hosted the parties for the tech crews. She recalls, “He fit in with my best friends.”

In 2018, Hannah got a job offer to be a PA for her uncle’s concert production company, Another Planet Entertainment, so together they drove to San Francisco for the summer. Even though they had only been dating for three months, Nick joined her, where he did carpentry. Nick figures that this trip “would either make or break our relationship.” Apparently, it made it because they’re still together. They married this past November, and theatre alum Destiney Martinez (BFA ’21) took their wedding photos. (See Destiny’s recent profile here.)

Nick graduated in 2019 and worked as sound apprentice at Virginia Repertory in Richmond.  While Hannah was finishing at VCU, she worked at Kings Dominion as a lighting technician. COVID hit during her senior year, so she left for Spring Break and never came back. Hannah explains their situation during the pandemic, “We played a lot of video games and had a roommate to hang with. We found a cat and got another cat.”

They bought a house last year in Forest Hills. Nick works for LL Flooring as a project coordinator, while still designing sound for VCU and other area theatres. Hannah just started a new position with DC’s Barbizon Lighting as a field service tech installing ETC lighting products. About being back in Richmond, Hannah says, “We love living here. Now that we own our house and I’m happy to be back in my field.”

Nick credits Thomas Vecchione (Head of Sound) for his influence, “He taught me how to layer and stack sound. I got a lot of inspiration from him.” Hannah appreciated the skills and friendships, “I learned very hands-on. We met some transfers who only had textbook learning. Some of our fellow alumni are still some of best friends.”

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the February 2023 Theatre Alumni newsletter