For the Spring 2022 semester, all four vocal ensembles are planning to meet in person. If you need special accommodations for alternative participation, please contact Erin Freeman, Director of Choral Activities, at email@example.com before the start of the semester..
- Choral Arts Society does not require an audition.
- Auditions are required for Commonwealth Singers and Vox Concordia.
- Admittance to Vocal Chamber Ensemble will be arranged individually with Dr. Freeman and will require an additional audition.
Please contact Erin Freeman, Director of Choral Activities, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Priority auditions for the Spring Semester will take place between November 30 and December 8, 2021 and must be arranged individually with the conductor of the ensemble. Decisions will be posted by December 10. After that date, students will be able to audition as spots are available.
To audition for Commonwealth Singers or Vocal Chamber Ensemble, contact Erin Freeman: email@example.com
To audition for Vox Concordia Conductor, contact Lisa Fusco: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audition Requirements:
- Sing a prepared solfege (Do, Re, Mi) exercise. Music is available below.
- Learn and read a rhythm that we give you at the audition (you will have time to practice it)
- Some basic vocalizing, so we can hear your range.
- A choral excerpt:
- Commonwealth Singers: A short excerpt from the Libera Me Fugue from Verdi Requiem (available below)
- Vocal Chamber Ensemble: A short excerpt from the Libera Me Fugue from Verdi Requiem (available below)
- Vox Concordia: Confitemini Domino (available below)
We advise that interested students register for any choral ensemble to receive communications through Canvas and/or your VCU email regarding excerpts and signups. Once you are placed in an ensemble, we will help you change your registration if needed. If you are unable to register by the time of the audition, simply check this page for information. You do not need to be registered to audition, although you will need to enroll once your choral assignment has been decided.
- Commonwealth Singers excerpt[PDF]
- Note which measures your part is required to sing.
- Sing at Quarter = 108 (Very under tempo!)
- Vocal Chamber excerpt (Same as Commonwealth Singers)
- Vox Concordia excerpt[PDF]
- Solfege Exercises
- Two – Learn Both – available here[PDF]
AUDITION NOTE HELP
- Commonwealth Singers & Vocal Chamber – Verdi Requiem, excerpt
- SOPRANO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wXAWZWrqRMshfkBdl2IMKRkYduV6yLwK/view?usp=sharing
- ALTO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SwDU99iw5kxC57XHDn8n4MP_NUloFYCe/view?usp=sharing
- TENOR: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oexA-lE3fw4d0Ji0saL2YpZy2ccLnAmK/view?usp=sharing
- BASS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10i6S0xUttQfYfRL6citc-MdLHaFULK5i/view?usp=sharing
- ALL PARTS TOGETHER:
- Concert Tempo YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3bvaL2s-0
- Slower, audition tempo: Quarter note = 108 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqMOT7c5GaoejLFn1yKqaSVpOFtNYdci/view?usp=sharing
- Vox Concordia – Confitemini Domine (Costantini) Entire piece in Latin
- Link in Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/124aKInGCHhXmj-R8vJa0AokPE_dDJUva/view?usp=sharing
- SOPRANO 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhI-of5aQks
- SOPRANO 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L04DTu2q4Lc
- ALTO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvKuFuykBg
- ALL PARTS TOGETHER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbadZoiDO8