Alum spotlight: Lara Rhyner Kalin (BFA ’06) and Brian Kalin (BFA ’08)

Categories
photo collage

Brian Kalin, 2008 BFA in Technical Theatre with emphasis in Scene Design
Lara Rhyner Kalin, 2006 BFA in Technical Theatre with emphasis in Scene Design

laralada@gmail.com
brian.kalin@gmail.com

Brain and Lara at Summer Stock years before dating – they came wearing the same outfit, and Lara made them take a photo.

Lara and Brian worked on numerous shows at VCU, but never really dated. Their first show was Picasso at the Lapine Agile, where Brian was “doing whatever I was told,” mostly carpentry, while Lara was on props, “I thought he was dreamy. Hair down to his shoulders and a total dork.” Brian recalled, “She was an upperclassman, so she was out of reach.” They both worked summer stock at Seaside Music Theatre, Daytona, FL., but still weren’t dating. 

Set of “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” at VCU in 2006

When they moved to New York, Lara worked a scenic artist for two years before she was hired as the assistant to the creative director of the legendary Magnolia Bakery. Her primary job was to oversee the displays in every store. Ultimately, this inspired her to start her own pastry business. Brian was freelancing for designers, including drafting for Court Watson (BFA ’03), who he met through a mutual friend.

Signs and paint finishes in Magnolia Bakery

After dating for a few years, Brian invited Lara to “come meet my family,” which meant they were “really committing.” He said, “I think we should move in together” and she agreed.

Eventually, Brian declared his desire to leave the city, while Lara wanted to stay there forever. She declared, “If you’re going to make me leave New York, I’m going make you leave the country.” They headed for Toronto, so she could attend pastry school. While they were waiting at the border, he asked her to check the glove box, where he had stashed an engagement ring. One of Brian’s New York jobs was for Tiffany in Creative Visual Merchandising, so he used Tiffany’s 3D printer to design the mold for the ring and the box.

Eventually they moved back to Northern Virginia, but,”Neither one of us could stomach staying there,” Lara muses. Within one week of moving to Philadelphia, Brian had a job at a firm that created architectural custom fabrications. Lara worked as a sous pastry chef, then eventually started her own cake business (her website).

Brian’s old studio, he made 3D prints and then created molds from them and castings. These are a set of castings he made for a museum installation.

Meanwhile, Brian was running his own business as a draftsmen for event staging companies. Currently he works as detailing manager for Emerald Iron Works in Woodbridge, VA (working primarily from home in Philadelphia). They have two girls: Charlie, 5 and Drew, 3.

A finished staircase drafted by Brian.
couple standing next to cake

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the February 2023 Theatre Alumni newsletter