Fall 2022 Cooperating Teacher Appreciation: Hanover County Public Schools

Categories

This week we’re sharing our gratitude for the wonderful cooperating teachers throughout Virginia who welcomed our students into their classrooms for practicum and student teaching during the Fall 2022 semester.

Below are messages of thanks from our students who have worked with these fantastic educators!

Hanover County Public Schools

Atlee High School – Melanie Kluender

Melanie Kluender is an amazing art teacher who is extremely organized and who has extensive knowledge of art. She is an exemplary professional for the field of art education, admired and respected by her colleagues, admin, and students. In fact, she was nominated for teacher of the year at Atlee High school. In addition she is a marathon runner who is dedicated to getting up early each day to run and even invites her students to run with her in school fundraisers. However with all her accolades, Melanie is humble, and I admire her for putting her family first.

Beaverdam Elementary – Sarah Watson

Sarah Watson is the most wonderful cooperating teacher a student teacher could ever ask for! She is the most welcoming, understanding, and influential person inside and outside of the classroom. I will take every day I had with her at Beaverdam with me as I go fourth as an educator. Sarah has such a warm and kind demeanor to all of her students and fellow staff, it was an honor to be able to learn from her. Not only was she able to provide insight on lesson plans and teaching skills, she was able to provide constructive criticism and give advice in a positive and encouraging manner. -Hana Pearlman

Chickahominy MS/ Hanover HS – Kathleen Cooper

Kathleen Cooper is a teacher who has spent 20 plus years in Hanover county. She is incredibly smart and good at what she does. Mrs. Cooper is also an amazing artist, she displays some of her work around the room and it always caught my eye. She is passionate about the field of art education and has worked with so many student teachers over her career. She always wants the best for both her student teachers and students. Anyone who has the chance to work with her as a student teacher or colleague should consider themselves lucky! -Anna Rush

Cool Spring Elementary – Rachel Griggs

Rachel Griggs had such a positive impact on my experience as a student teacher. She was welcoming and full of great ideas. She was incredibly supportive and kind throughout my entire time at Cool Spring Elementary. Her art projects and teaching style supports the community of cool spring so well and I know that she has not just had a positive impact on me. She has done the same for all her students.

Laurel Meadow Elementary School – Jamesha Hairston

Ms.Hairston is a brilliant instructor that has depth of knowledge and skill in the arts. She has shown me what it means to run a tight ship of a classroom, one that is well organized and structured for students. -Richard

Pole Green Elementary – Sarah Cross

Pole Green was an amazing school and Sarah Cross should be given an award for how wonderful of a teacher she is cause this Practicum experience was absolutely perfect! Sarah was kind and super helpful in our teaching practice and gave me great insight into the world of an elementary art teacher. Anyone looking to be an elementary school teacher should aspire to be like Sarah, truly! -Ethan

Ms. Cross is so wonderful and willing to support students who are working in her classroom! It is truly inspirational to see how she conducts herself with the kids and the intention and care with which she teaches. In just a few weeks, she has really been a wonderful mentor to me and my fellow classmates. -Celine

Observing Sarah Cross teach art to her elementary students has been a privilege. She has an electric energy that lights up the room. I am moved and inspired by the mutual trust she has established with her students. They love her very much. She is deeply and genuinely encouraging of my fellow classmates and I feel so much stronger having spent these past few weeks working with her. -SarahJane