Matthew Corey Hall (BFA ’10)

Matthew Corey Hall is Graphic Designer living in California and working at Google as a Visual Designer. Currently he is working on Android Auto, designing reductive wayfinding experiences and finding ways to make screens more like posters. He is interested in the spaces where traditional design principles can be realized through new technologies, desiring to emphasize physicality and useful public function in his work. Prior to Google he worked in New York City collaborating with Industrial Designers at Frog Design, designing identity systems at Siegel+Gale, and redesigning injectable device instructions at Johnson & Johnson. He has worked with clients spanning a range of disciplines from fashion (Estee Lauder) to heavy industry (General Electric). He enjoys collecting vintage modernist design books, hanging out at MUJI, square cars, taking photos of under-appreciated architecture and reminiscing about his foundational days and late nights studying Graphic Design at VCU.

Work

Method 10×10, cover and inside.
10×10 is a series of thought pieces which highlight new approaches and ways of thinking about varying industry challenges. I was the lead designer of Issue No.4 and 5 while interning at Method, NYC. Also shown is an Infographic spread from Issue No.4.

Areaware + Jonas Damon Collaboration.
The Alarm Dock uses a nostalgic product language to meet the progressively thin and disappearing profiles of consumer electronics. It is at once a critique and an accommodation to new technology. I worked in collaboration with Industrial Designer Jonas Damon to design the application UI and functionality (which was purposefully basic).

GE + World Economic Forum (Illustration for ecomagination.com)
Illustration for a joint-collaboration project between GE and the World Economic Forum – Healthy networks induce healthy growth. Featured on ecomagination.com

Affiche 2 Poster show.
Home in 2015.

Matthew Corey Hall on the web
https://www.instagram.com/grafik__/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewcoreyhall

What mattered about the BFA program?
My time in the Graphic Design Department at VCU was one of personal challenge and discovery. The discovery of new ways of perceiving the visual world and the challenge of creating a new era of visual communication that is a benefit, not a detraction, to the environments we live in. My time considering typography, grids, form, composition, identity, contrast, spatial relationships while at VCU created the type of thinking that is necessary to excel in any medium of graphic design, whether working in print or digital spaces. The professors at VCU push you to develop your aesthetic sensibilities on multiple levels whether through exercises of typographic deconstruction or the beauty of understanding and implementing grid systems. In addition, I developed an appreciation for architecture, fashion, and product design while in the Graphic Design Department. This was largely due to the influence of the great professors I had. Teachers like John Malinoski gave me my first glimpse of Dieter Rams, Wim Crouwel, and Rem Koolhaas (to name a few). I have great memories of sleeping on an Eames couch next to a small micro-fridge (a pedestal for a funky microwave) in the Design Center studio. Camping out in the studio to fully engage with all of the inspiration that existed in that space. Surviving on oranges and energy drinks I was able to develop the design foundation that still serves me today, no matter the space or place.