Alum spotlight: Robb Hunter (MFA ’08)

Categories
man with blonde hair and costume hook for a hand

Robb Hunter, 2008 MFA, Theatre Pedagogy

fghtnce@gmail.com

When Robb was working as Michael J. Fox’s stand-in and stunt double on Spin City (1997-2000), they needed a sword for dream sequence. He offered, “I have a sword.” As a result, the props person told him to let people know and that was the genesis of Preferred Arms, his theatrical and film weapons rental company.

Teaching a broadsword class, 2010

Robb was actually going to study organic chemistry, but changed his mind during his junior year at Radford University. When he came back from break at home in Clifton Forge, VA, he decided to be an actor and started taking classes.

One of his early jobs was working summers in Ohio’s outdoor drama Tecumseh!, where he, “learned how to fight with all kinds of instruments, ride horses, fall off a cliff, have fire fights.” Still on stage in 2000, Robb was playing Mercurtio in a New Jersey production of Romeo and Juliet, when the fight director became unavailable. Robb offered, “I can do this and once that happened, I was bitten by the bug.”

Performing as Tybalt in “Romeo and Juliet” at Baltimore Shakespeare Festival, 2005

When Robb started at VCU, he and his wife were still living in DC. He spent two years driving back and forth. As for his experience with the faculty, Robb comments, “Aaron Anderson, Noreen Barnes and David Leong all had different approaches, but it was not about what you bring to the process, but what you can take from those around you.”

Teaching a broadsword class, 2010

While he was getting his degree, he approached American University to do a workshop and they asked him to create a full year program. He’s been Artist in Residence for movement and fight direction for all of their shows since 2008. His first teaching job was at Catholic University. He told them, “You should have a stage combat program and they let me write what I wanted.”

“Big Love,” Catholic University 2014, After the Carnage, photo by Brian C. Allard

Robb choreographed the extensive fights for VCU’s Artistic Director Sharon Ott last summer when she directed Tis Pity She’s a Whore at the Shakespeare Theatre Company.  She commented, “He was a delight to collaborate with. He works beautifully with the actors and is a wonderful team player.”

Robb’s classroom for a few days when he interviewed for the newsletter!

When asked about getting back on stage himself, Robb replies, “I made the decision not to act when our kids were young.” But he comments, “I’m not particularly happy NOT being on stage.” He’s been in some shows for Capital Fringe and muses that as a teacher, “class sometimes satisfies that itch.”

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the May 2023 Theatre Alumni newsletter