Alum spotlight: Abby Bobb (B.I.S.’16) and Weston Corey (B.F.A.’16)

Categories
weston and abby at their wedding

Abby Bobb, B.I.S. (Interdisciplinary Studies) 2016, Dance & Stage Management
Weston Corey, B.F.A. 2016, Lighting Design

bobbac78@gmail.com

Abby and Weston met junior year in the lighting practicum, which is ironic because Weston was just hired this year as the department’s first full-time lighting and sound technician…and he’s teaching that same practicum!

abby and weston in 2014
Abby and Weston’s first photo together during a camping trip in 2014

Abby grew up dancing in her hometown of Fredericksburg and also trained at the School of Richmond Ballet. She discovered VCU’s interdisciplinary program and “created my own major,” which allowed her to create her own major splitting between dance and stage management.

abby and weston with their dogs at belle isle
Abby, Weston and their pups, Finley and Josie, at Belle Isle

Weston’s first show was when he was in the 6th grade as part of West End Assembly of God’s big Christmas production. Since he was a “fidgety kid, they stuck me on lighting team and I haven’t stopped since.”

weston and abby hiking old rag
Weston and Abby hiking Old Rag in Virginia

After graduation, Abby went to Colorado as stage manager and lead counselor at Rocky Mountain Theatre for Kids and Weston got full-time offer to be assistant lighting director for Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center in The Villages, Florida.

weston proposing to abby in zion national park in 2020
Weston proposing to Abby in Zion National Park in 2020

They both were also involved with The Sharon’s sister venue The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol, for its inaugural season where Abby was the resident stage manager. Weston became lighting director and resident designer for the Sharon and the Studio, respectively after 9 months.

weston and abby at their wedding in 2021
Weston and Abby at their wedding in 2021

When they returned to Richmond, Abby was working at SPARC when she got an email offer to work as assistant stage manager for the National Tour of Legally Blonde…leaving in two weeks! Since then, she’s worked 5 other National Tours and is currently on Come From Away. (She was in Wichita when we talked.)

three people smiling
Come from Away stage management team: (from right) Abby as Production Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager Gloria, and VCU alum Hope Jewell (BFA’23)
weston working
Weston working on The Richmond Ballet’s The Nutcracker

Even though it keeps the couple apart, Abby likes touring because, “you never have the same audience twice, and get to share a story to parts of the country where they might not normally have the opportunity to see a Broadway show.” Meanwhile, Weston likes working with the students at VCU, “Every one of them comes and works their butt off and they’re active in asking questions, which is pretty impressive.”

abby calling a chorus line
Abby calling A Chorus Line in Tokyo, Japan

In explaining the success of their relationship, they explained, “We’re both really passionate about what we do and have a big mutual respect and understanding of what the other one does. Having the same level of love and support from each other is the biggest factor in that. “

two cute doggies
Weston and Abby’s dogs Finley (black lab) and Josie (hound)

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus), Jerry Williams (BFA ’71), and VCUarts Theatre for the February 2024 Theatre Alumni newsletter