Alum spotlight: Chris Young (BFA ’84)

Categories
man holding prop knife to his throat and grimacing with stage blood

Chris Young, BFA Technical Production, 1984

cty.461@gmail.com

Chris was in one play in high school and “hated having to wear makeup, so I slid on into technical stuff. I didn’t have a whole lot of carpentry experience, but knew how to keep my fingers out of way.”

Chris in the shop, 1992

After a year at Christopher Newport College in Mass Communications, he dropped out and “took a crappy job in a lumberyard. It helped my bank account, but boy does it make you motivated to get back to school. Two friends were from VCU and they suggested it.”

Chris programming parrots, 2018

While at VCU, Lou Szari (former Head of Lighting) and Rick Pike (former Head of Scenic Design) “helped me get an internship at the Arena Stage scene shop that led to a job offer, but I’d already sent the check in,” so he returned to finish his degree. When the time came, “I finished my last exam and loaded up the U-haul the next morning for DC.” After his three years at Arena (as an intern, then stage carpenter, then in the scene shop), Chris recalls, “I realized, I’m looking at what’s coming out of the prop shop and was more interested in that.”

That’s when his focus switched. Chris looked for a master’s program in props and found it at the University of Cincinnati’s College Conservatory of Music. He remarks, “I went to an opera school to learn about props.”

Chris learning to take care if bees, 2013

In 1990, the man who’d been assistant prop director at Arena was now props director at The Folger, which became Shakespeare Theatre Company, where he’s still working. Chris’ business card said “Furniture, weapons, fire and blood,” which got him noticed by the Washington Post (read the article below). When they were producing Richard III with Stacy Keach, “Blood was an issue, so that’s what got me stuck doing blood.”

Shakespeare Theatre Company Prop Shop staff reunion, 2014

Something he learned from Lou Szari’s class in color theory of light and paint came in handy, “The only place I had to mix blood was in the green room with florescent lights and boy did that look bad when it got on stage. I’m known for being offside the stage with blood samples to see how it works under light.”

Chris and Laurie in front of the Heart Wall in Union Market, DC, 2018
Chris and Laurie at their wedding, 1986

Chris had a rule not to date anyone within the department and he met his future wife Laurie at a dinner party. Turns out she was a graphic design major…whew! They now have two adult children.

Laurie, Chris, and their two kids in New Orleans, 2013

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the August 2023 Theatre Alumni newsletter