The Anderson Gallery
The Anderson Gallery opened in 1931 and served as Richmond’s only art exhibition facility until the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts opened in 1936.
The Anderson Gallery went on to collect more than 31,000 pieces of art, and established a reputation as a leading venue for contemporary art in the Southeast. In addition to presenting juried student and M.F.A. thesis shows, the gallery organized exhibitions featuring emerging and established artists from around the world.
In 2015, the Anderson Gallery closed and its collections were moved to the archives of VCU’s James Branch Cabell Library, where they are accessible for research and study.
From VCU University Public Affairs
VCU Anderson Gallery to close: Though its legacy of artistic innovation will endure on campus at James Branch Cabell Library
From Richmond Times-Dispatch
VCU Anderson Gallery to close
From Style Weekly
Fly on the Wall