New Arts Librarian Carla-Mae (She’s LOVELY. Trust me.)
Published on November 13, 2014
I met Carla-Mae, our new arts librarian the other week. This is one seriously great lady. And to make things better? She has two arts degrees. Uh huh, bonus points. I really encourage you to seek Carla-Mae out whenever you’re looking for information or inspiration. In her words below, please check out her bio, and a great listing of resources for you in the library.
Carla-Mae Crookendale is the new Visual Arts Research Librarian for VCU Libraries. Before becoming a librarian Carla-Mae was a designer, and she holds a BFA in Metals & Jewelry and an MFA in Fashion from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She has worked as a jewelry and stained glass artist, taught jewelry design at her alma mater, and taught costume design and managed the costume shop for the Theatre program at Belhaven College. Most recently she was a librarian at SCAD’s Jen Library in Savannah before moving to Richmond this fall.
Carla-Mae is excited to be joining the VCU Arts family, and looks forward to helping both students and faculty take advantage of all the resources VCU Libraries provides for both research and inspiration. The library of course has thousands of print books on a wide array of art disciplines, some of which are showcased in the Art Browsery on the 4th floor of Cabell. But the library also has ebooks, electronic and print journals, DVDs and much more.
A few special things you may not know Cabell Library offers:
- Borrow camcorders, cameras, projectors, green screen, lights, etc.
- Use software including the Adobe Creative suite, Sound Forge, Final Cut X and Maya.
- Seats up to 10 people
- TV with surround sound and 3-D glasses
- Play stations, Xboxes and Wii.
- Brand new! Check them out at the information services desk.
- Thousands of comic books, strips and graphic novels, including mainstream, independent, underground and manga titles.
Illustrated children’s books and teen fiction
- In their own section on the 4th floor
- For reference, inspiration and fun
- Millions of high resolution art images you can download for educational purposes.
- An online video library of tutorials for CG, animations, 3D, games, and visual effects.
If you have questions or want to set up a research consultation, contact Carla-Mae at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804)827-0367.