Dear VCUarts students, faculty and staff,
After a series of important conversations with you at the end of last semester regarding inclusion and equity, I want to follow up to let you know about a number of workshops that we have planned this semester. I strongly encourage you all to attend, as these events help us build a common language and understanding around our shared values of inclusion and equity at VCUarts.
- March 19: Faculty workshop at 4 pm with Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
All VCUarts faculty members are welcome. RSVPs are strongly recommended; seating is limited.
- March 25: VCUarts Inclusive forum for all faculty, staff and students, 1-3 pm
Led by Idella Glenn, a seasoned professional committed to inclusive excellence, student success, and creating welcoming campus environments for all.
- April 1: Student workshop on bias led by Idella Glenn
- April 4: Open Forum: “Intimacy and the Stage” with alumna Tonia Sina
- April 5: Workshop with Tonia Sina for faculty and choreographers
- April 11: Faculty workshop on bias at 4 pm led by Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
Holly Alford, director of diversity, inclusion and equity at VCUarts, is working to finalize locations–please stay tuned for those details. Early next week, she will also be sending you a link to a brief climate survey. This survey is aimed at learning more about your experiences and perspectives on diversity, inclusion, and equity at VCUarts. We will use this information to identify areas of strengths and weaknesses in order to provide a more inclusive environment.
I am committed to ensuring that VCUarts remains a place for everyone and look forward to partnering with you in this work.
Dean | School of the Arts
Special Assistant to the Provost for the School of the Arts in Qatar
Professor | School of the Arts
Affiliate Professor | College of Engineering