Fine Arts, Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.)
The Department of Photography and Film seeks graduate students whose work challenges the common definitions of photography, film, and video while maintaining the disciplinary integrity of traditional practice. The department works to advance the highest standards of photography and film by providing an artistic community for the development and exchange of progressive visual ideas.DOWNLOAD THE GRADUATE VIEWBOOK HERE MFA Degree Requirements MFA Mission Statement
Recent Highlights and Facts:
- Hats off to Assistant Professor Mark Boulos, whose first monograph was published this Summer ’17
- Effective July 1, our talented and beloved colleague, Sonali Gulati, is a Full Professor at VCU – a well-deserved promotion.
- In June ’17, Paul Thulin had work included in the “Mundo, Imagen, Mundo,” Belo Horizonte International Photography Festival in Brazil.
- Assistant Professor Jon-Phillip Sheridan and his awesome, collaborative Sustain Lab (Arts, Engineering, Biology), in partnership with the Science Museum of Virginia, were instrumental to an Urban Heat Island Study this summer with the goal of making Richmond cooler (in the actual original sense of the word).
- Associate Professor Mary Beth Reed’s short film A Dog, a Light and Lace, traveled in a group show to multiple venues last spring, including the Echo Park Film Center in L.A., the Northwest Film Forum in Seattle, and the Nightingale Cinema of Chicago.
- MFA candidate Stephanie Dowda received a Graduate Travel grant from VCUarts for her exhibition at Zuckerman Museum of Art in Atlanta, GA, and a Department Travel Grant to attend the Society for Photographic Education Southeast Chapter Fall Retreat in Penland, NC
Click below to see thesis exhibitions for the 5 fine arts programs including Photography and Film