Cellopalooza is a biannual celebration for performers, teachers and fans of the violoncello, featuring guest clinicians and performers from around the world. Cellists ages 12 and up (suggested age, but younger welcome) are invited to the day of masterclasses, workshops and cello choirs.
Master Class Information
A master class is an opportunity where students see a master teach. A couple of students play solos for the class, the master teaches (like a private lesson), and everyone else observes.
* Middle School Masterclass participation: Space available first come first served, please indicate interest on registration form.
**High School level Masterclass (D. McComb) and College level masterclass (S. Robinson): Auditions required for these masterclasses. There are 2-3 available for each class.
- Cello choir music will be assigned and posted 3 weeks before the event
- Dress is casual (bring a sweater)
- Masterclass participants will be referred to a Richmond pianist for accompaniment. Piano accompaniment for non-solo repertoire is required for the college level class, and strongly suggested for the high school level class.
- Final schedule of the day, parking info and directions (and some things to do around town for parents) will be emailed before the event
- Discount tickets for the KLR concert at 8pm will be available at the box office that night for friends and family (up to 4)
For more information, email Susanna Klein, VCU Coordinator of Strings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Cellopalooza Guest Artists:
Cellopalooza I: Bonnie Hampton, Juilliard
Cellopalooza II: Peter Wispelwey, International Artist
Cellopalooza III: Zuill Bailey, International Artist
Cellopalooza IV: Joel Krosnick, Juilliard Quartet
Cellopalooza V: Clive Greensmith, Tokyo Quartet
Cellopalooza VI: Alisa Weilerstein
Cellopalooza VII: Irene Sharp
Cellopalooza VIII: Paul Watkins
Cellopalooza IX: Sharon Robinson
To be added to our Strings mailing list, please click here.