Students whose primary instrument is in the Wind/Percussion family can receive a Bachelor of Music with a concentration in Performance/Winds and Percussion, a Bachelor of Education, or a Bachelor of Arts in Music.
VCU Music offers a strong program to Wind/Percussion students. Solo performance study is complemented by an emphasis on professor/student and student/student collaboration.
Graduates of VCU Wind/Percussion studios are accomplished performers and experienced teachers. They have many years of major orchestral experience, an impressive discography, extensive publications and legions of former students who themselves are producing yet more generations of performers and teachers. Wind/percussion alumni hold positions in symphony orchestras and military bands worldwide and are educators at universities, conservatories and public and private schools throughout the country.
Our Wind/Percussion students have successfully competed in national competitions, including the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition, Music Teachers National Association Competition, International Trumpet Guild, College Band Directors National Association and the International Clarinet Association.
- Justin Alexander, Director of Percussion Studies, Interim Assistant Chair, Coordinator of Music History
- Tabatha Easley, Associate Professor of Flute
- Robert Ellithorpe, Trombone Instructor
- Bruce Hammel, Associate Professor , Music Theory , Bassoon
- Jim Jacobson, Percussion Instructor
- Justin McConchie, Percussion Instructor
- Alyssa McKeithen, Oboe Instructor
- William Messerschmidt, Percussion Instructor
- David Niethamer, Clarinet Instructor
- Rex Richardson, Professor of Trumpet, Jazz Studies
- Patrick Smith, Interim Assistant Chair, Coordinator of Winds & Percussion and Music History, Associate Professor of French Horn and Music History
- Brian Strawley, Trumpet Instructor
- Tiffany Valvo, Assistant Professor , Clarinet
- Ross Walter, Associate Professor, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- Stephanie Fairbairn Ycaza, Tuba Instructor
Interested in auditioning? Please view the audition tips.