+

Summer Spotlight: Emily Nesbitt, Soprano

Emily Nesbitt performing at La Musica Lirica in Novafeltria, Italy

Soprano Emily Nesbitt has returned to VCU Music this semester with an even stronger love for opera than she had before. She spent five weeks this summer at the prestigious La Musica Lirica in Novafeltria, Italy, as the youngest singer in the Young Artist program. She performed the role of Maestra delle Novizie in Puccini’s “Suor Angelica” and covered the lead role of Mimi in Puccini’s “La Bohème.”

“This trip was one of the most important experiences I have had as a performer,” said Nesbitt. “I feel a lot stronger with my Italian, I feel like a different singer.”

The program was intensive, with rehearsals consuming most of her time every day. In addition to rehearsals, Nesbit studied Italian for up to 15 hours per week. She attended weekly coaching sessions with Rossini Opera Festival coaches twice a week and two voice lessons per week. This was her first experience in a touring show and she had the opportunity to perform throughout Italy, including the areas of Rimini,Talamello and Novafeltria.

Nesbitt described the performance experience in Italy as like no other.

“People love opera in Italy,” said Nesbitt. “Getting to perform for such enthusiastic audiences who could understand the text we were singing was incredible.”