Accountant (Dean’s Office)
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts, Dean’s Office
Application Deadline: To guarantee full consideration, application materials must be received by November 29, 2018.
As a member of the Dean’s Office Finance team, this position will establish and maintain strong professional and collaborative relationships and lines of communication between the departments and units in order to ensure compliance with university policies and procedures related to fiscal and business operations. This position reports to the Director of Finance and duties include, but are not limited to: the administration of accounting, finance and budget support for all School of the Arts programs; perform routine and monthly account reconciliations for various accounts; manage accounting records and reports; research account reconciliation discrepancies and resolve issues that impact the effectiveness and accuracy of the School’s fiscal operations; performs other duties as assigned.
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) is comprised of over 3,000 students and 16 nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts. US News & World Report ranks VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) as having the top public university art and design graduate programs in the nation. Located in Richmond, the capital of Virginia, VCU is an ethnically and culturally diverse urban institution. VCUarts is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus situated in Richmond’s historic Fan District. The school’s newest facility, the Depot Building, houses a state of the art sound studio with motion capture capabilities, a 6,000 sq. ft. interdisciplinary research space. The VCU Institute for Contemporary Art (ICA), designed by award-winning architect Steven Holl, is dedicated to flexible and responsive exhibitions and performances that examine art, design, and performance from multiple interdisciplinary perspectives (ica.vcu.edu). VCUarts is within walking distance to the Richmond Arts District and the nationally-recognized Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is one mile from campus. VCUarts-Qatar (qatar.vcu.edu), the university’s first international branch campus, is located in Doha, Qatar and serves students from more than 25 nationalities in design, visual arts, and art history.
Personal Qualifications and Qualities:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field or an equivalent combination of college and related experience.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain favorable external and internal relationships with department offices in the School of the Arts that this position will interact with on a routine basis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively and positively interact with a diverse range of people.
- Experience in or potential to work in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Ability to use office automation, Microsoft Word, Excel (advanced level), and basic software.
- Experience with account reconciliations and allocations.
- Experience with Banner and SAS systems.
- Ability to analyze and interpret budget and financial reports and data.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple priorities simultaneously while attending to details and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems independently and use available resources.
- Ability to interpret university and state policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strategic and analytic thinker who exhibits engagement, creativity, problem solving skills and organizational skills.
- Master of Accountancy (M.Acc.) or Master of Business Administration (MBA) from an accredited college or university is highly preferred.
- Specialized experience in accounting or related field strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the unique nature and complexity of the School of the Arts’ financial and business operations is highly preferred.
To read the full position announcement and to learn more about VCUarts, visit: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/84806
To guarantee full consideration, application materials must be received by November 29, 2018.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.