Academic Advisor (Two Positions Available)
Recruitment Pool: All Applicants
Type of Search: Regional
Working Title: Academic Advisor
Position Number: FA3590
Position Type: Staff
FLSA Indicator: Exempt
Employee Group: Academic Professional
Department: Office Of Strategic Enrollment Management
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Student Success is at the core of VCU’s new strategic plan – Quest 2025: Together We Transform. To ensure each VCU student finds success on their individualized path, it is imperative that we establish a campus environment that eliminates artificial barriers to degree progression/graduation, nurtures student engagement both with faculty and our community, develops cultural competency in our graduates, and creates opportunities to experiment and develop tangible and intangible skills related to their future career goals.
Student Success is currently seeking applicants to fill multiple Academic Advisor positions within the following advising units/teams:
School of the Arts – there are two positions available: one advisor for Music majors (freshmen-seniors), and one advisor for the combined majors of Kinetic Imaging, Photo/Film, and Cinema (sophomores-seniors).
The Academic Advisor will provide the following services to assigned students:
- Provide academic advising services regarding: departmental, collegiate, and University policies and procedures; programs of study; and the development of appropriate academic plans.
- Teach first-year student success courses (University Academic Advising, Pre-Professional Health Advising, and College of Engineering Advising positions only)
- Collaborate with university partners on matters that impact student recruitment, success, and retention
- Maintain accurate and confidential records of student information, including advising interactions
- Monitor student progression in degree program and establish advising checkpoints
Minimum Hiring Standards
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in a college or university setting.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Master’s degree in discipline of interest
- Demonstrated experience providing academic, career, or individualized counseling in a social services or K-20 education setting.
- Demonstrated experience teaching.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $39,000 – $41,000
Application Process/Additional Information
Campus: Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Job Open Date: 05/02/2018, Remove from posting on or before 05/25/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Is this a restricted position? No
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes
Sensitive Position No
Resource Critical Yes
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Will you have completed your Master’s degree by July 1, 2018?
* Please identify the unit/team(s) for which you would most like to be considered. (Indicate all that apply.)
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
To read the full position announcement and apply via VCU eJobs, visit: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/78606
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.