INTERIOR DESIGN INTERNSHIPS
All students in the BFA and MFA programs are required to complete an internship for credit as part of the program curriculum. There are many opportunities that can meet the internship requirement and on this page are resources to assist you in determining the internship that could best serve you. Below are resources on composing a portfolio, resume, and cover letter, and a list of architecture and design firms, many within the Richmond area, that have employed students from our program in the last few years.
BFA students are eligible for the internship after completion of IDES 431 Business Practices and completion of the junior year. Students can intern during the summer after their junior year or during the fall and spring semesters of their senior year. Students must enroll in IDES 493 during the semester in which they are employed as interns.
MFA candidates are eligible during the summer after their first year and must enroll in IDES 693.
BFA Internship Coordinator
Rob Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
COMPLETING IDES 493
To formally start and complete your internship and the IDES 493 internship course, you must complete the following:
- Work contract: You must submit a signed Interior Design Internship Work Contract to the internship coordinator to officially start the internship
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours (for BFA students) of work at the internship
- Internship journal: You will keep an internship journal and share the journal with the internship coordinator. The journal will have, at minimum, a weekly entry for logging your daily hours worked for that week, what you accomplished, and thoughts and reflections about your experience
- Student evaluation: Each student must submit an online evaluation of the internship at the end of the internship
- Supervisor evaluation: The internship supervisor must submit an online evaluation of the intern at the end of the semester
It is also a very good practice to send a thank you note to your supervisor and any other staff who have helped you.