Painting + Printmaking Community News

Sunrise Silhouette, Claire Stankus

Professor Claire Stankus is a VMFA 2020 Emergency Relief Fellowship Recipient, and her series, Something Similar is currently on exhibit in the Amuse Restaurant and Clairborne Robertson Room on the 3rd floor of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts until Jan 23, 2022.
“I make paintings to simplify immediate visual surroundings. They are inspired by familiar indoor scenes of cast shadows from house plants, patterns coincidentally matching, the grid of window frames, to shapes of flowers, oranges, or birthday sprinkles. I believe many people are attracted to these overlooked moments and my paintings provide an opportunity to revisit them.”

Installation progress image provided by LaRissa Rogers

BFA alum LaRissa Rogers has a solo exhibition opening at Second Street Gallery in Charlottesville on September 3.
“LaRissa Rogers’ On Belonging: The Space In Between punctuates the importance of place, belonging, and care through excavating the hidden histories embedded in the land as a means of regeneration, possibility, and growth. Rogers builds installations that pay homage to the interconnected histories in the soil and land from which they are created, in order to explore the dual nature of flight and migration as a means of survival and self-preservation, speaking particularly to diasporic resilience.”

The Language of the Birds, a group exhibition featuring works by MFA student Eleanor Mahin Thorp and MFA alumni Raul Aguilar Canela, John Chae, Ellen Hanson, and Connor Marie, opened last Friday, August 27th, at Tuesday Gallery in Richmond.