May Message from Dean Scott

Categories

To the VCUarts community,

May is finally upon us, and I am proud to see our school finishing the 2019–20 year on a strong note, even during these difficult circumstances. Creativity has flourished at VCUarts as students and faculty alike have devised new ways to make art, developed innovative methods to share knowledge outside of the classroom, and found opportunities to aid the public health effort. The determination of our community gives all of us hope for a bright future.

The swift adaptability and resourcefulness of our faculty, staff and students continues to inspire me. In our new virtual teaching environments, students from all disciplines are rehearsing and performing, perfecting their technique, and hearing from experts in their fields. And at VCUarts Qatar, the scheduled exhibition Color Lab was quickly transformed into a digital experience that explored the shifting face of color.

Looking ahead to the fall, the university is committed to holding classes in person, following all public health planning and proper safety protocols. The curve of the coronavirus will determine the university’s start date, and more clarity is expected in the coming weeks. I look forward to seeing our community return to their classrooms and studios in the coming months.

For our graduating seniors, this month should be a time of incredible optimism. While we remain physically distant, we will celebrate their accomplishments through virtual performances and exhibitions. And following the intensity of final projects and exams, we will commemorate their utmost achievement—earning a degree—through an interactive virtual commencement celebration on May 8. We will also acknowledge students with a commencement care package, including a printed graduation program and other commemorative items. In addition, all students graduating in 2020 will be recognized at the university’s December commencement ceremony.

Throughout this time of social distancing, we have remained focused on inspiring one another and upholding our shared values as #OneVCU. I hope you will continue to share your work and accomplishments with us on social media using #VCUartsWork. I look forward to celebrating this season of achievement with you.

I have tremendous faith in our VCUarts community and its determination, resilience, kindness and care for others. I look forward to a time when we are together to enjoy all that makes VCUarts special. Until then, please take care of yourselves and one another.

With deep appreciation,

Nancy Scott
Interim Dean
Special Assistant to the Provost for VCUarts Qatar