Kyrae Dawaun: Get Down Pat

VCUarts The Anderson is pleased to present Get Down Pat, an exhibition of artworks by Kyrae Dawaun on view from September 10 through 24. Dawaun is a 2020 Painting & Printmaking MFA graduate whose culminating thesis exhibition at The Anderson was postponed in Spring 2020 due to COVID-19.

Please join us from 12 to 6pm on Wednesday, September 16 and Thursday, September 17, when the artist will be acting as a Gallery Assistant in the space.

“I’ve got it down pat” – today a bit out of date, is an idiom I have known to exclaim an accomplished readiness or preparedness. This statement is offered in assuring someone who cares for you like a neighbor, partner, friend, or supervisor. Get Down Pat prioritizes colloquially understood etiquette and behaviors with regards to a preparedness necessary in facing systems of adversity: harbor, wean, manifest. Consider the goals of a support system for a burgeoning adolescent and adult of the black community in the United States of America. The various juxtaposed art objects in my installation inform a stage where the audience may interrogate action as is defined by language as they know it.

Kyrae Dawaun