Jung Kwon (BFA ’07)

Jung Kwon is currently a design director in Lippincott’s New York office. Lippincott has been the pioneer in the art and science of branding with over 70 years of heritage. Prior joining Lippincott, he was a designer at Design Army and VSA Partners. His expertise encompasses a wide range of corporate communications, corporate identities, collaterals, publications and visual system.

During his career, he has worked with a wide range of clients including 3M, American Express, Ameriprise, CA Technologies, Caterpillar, Chevron, Comcast, Dell, Delta, GE, Goldman Sachs, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, IBM, ITT, PTC, Samsung, Southwest Airlines, Tishman Speyer, Wells Fargo and Zoetis. His work has been featured in leading design publications and books, and had received numerous awards such as ADDY, Applied Arts, BrandNew, GD USA, Graphis, Print, REBRAND, Spark, Transform.

When he is not designing, he is always with his camera. From lifestyle to landscape, he loves anything that captures the feeling in time.

Work

Southwest Airlines brand refresh.
To distill more than 40 years of Southwest’s history into one modern, impactful look, representing the exciting future of a one-of-a-kind airline.

Monotype: From Pencil to Pixel.
Monotype and Lippincott partnered to bring the New York edition of “Pencil to Pixel” to life through artworks and artifacts spanning over a hundred years of typeface design.

The Pilgrim Magazine.
Bi-monthly magazine for the non-profit organization in New Jersey.

American Express Annual Report
The year-end summary of financial report for the American Express Company. The theme was based on the uncommon service they provide for the customers.

Jung Kwon on the web

Linkedin:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jung-kwon-192a8a8
Work:
www.lippincott.com

What mattered about the BFA program?
I had a pleasure to learn from Rob Carter, David Colley, John Malinoski, Roy McKelvey, and Sandra Wheeler. With diverse perspectives, they guided and challenged me to seek and arrive to the solutions. I learned how to think and breathe like a designer. It is much greater, deeper and valuable than simply getting the degree or learning the particular skillset. At VCU, I gained the deep understanding of why the details matter in design, what the grids can do within the space, nuance in typography, relationship between the forms and communications. These critical design fundamentals were deeply rooted in by the time I was ready to graduate and still serve as my design foundation.