Alum spotlight: Alexis Black (MFA ’17)

Categories
woman smiling

Alexis Black, MFA Performance Pedagogy with an emphasis in Movement, 2017

blackal6@msu.edu

Alexis was Assistant Fight Director for “Fool for Love” on Broadway, 2015

Theatre was a whole family event for Alexis. “My mom and dad met doing Up With People. We even had plays that we all four were in, which was really fun.”

Alexis performing in “A Time to Kill” at VCU

After getting her BFS from Ohio University, Alexis interned as an actor for a company in Cincinnati before moving to New York for eight years as an actor and fight choreographer.

Alexis was Fight Director for “A Time to Kill” at VCU

When Alexis turned 30, she thought, “I love doing all this, but I also love teaching.” The only place she applied for her degree in Pedagogy was VCU. Turns out that David Leong (former chair of theatre) was working on A Time to Kill in New York and he invited her to coffee. She recalls, “We had an impactful conversion. Knowing that he could be a mentor was another reason to come to VCU.” At this point, they’ve worked on at least fifteen shows together including two on Broadway: Fool for Love with Sam Rockwell (2015) and Macbeth with Daniel Craig (2021).

Alexis performing in a sword fight for Quill Shakespeare Theatre in Richmond (now Richmond Shakes)

Before working with him, “I thought of fight choreography as movement to create spectacle, but he helped to reframe how important it is for storytelling and character arc. He specifically taught me the method of ‘contemporary violence,’ creating these moments that looks messy but is carefully choreographed.”

Alexis working with students on a production of “She Kills Monsters”

One of Alexis’ most unusual gigs took her to South Korea. She was asked to teach fights for a play via Skype (this was before Zoom). Ultimately she convinced them that being there in person would be more effective, so they flew her for over for twelve days to work six fights, plus teach classes at the International School of Seoul.

Alexis, who is also now a certified Intimacy Director, has been at Michigan State since 2015. “My focus is on teaching movement and fight choreography, as well as intimacy direction.” She’s also co-authored Supporting Staged Intimacy: A Practical Guide for Theatre Creatives, Managers and Crew.

staged intimacy rehearsal with MSU students

When Alexis was asked about returning to performing herself, she replied, “I joke that acting was a former life, but I really miss it. The last time I acted was at VCU, but that is a goal is to eventually get back on stage. Still, I love being behind the table and out of the spotlight.”

Alexis and Tina Newhauser at book launch for their book “Supporting Staged Intimacy”

Compiled by Liz Hopper (professor emeritus) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the May 2023 Theatre Alumni newsletter