Alum Call Board: January 2021

Categories
graphic with vcu logo

Longtime Virginia Repertory artists KATRINAH CAROL LEWIS (BFA ’03) and Steve Perigard have been named as Interim Artistic Co-Directors of Virginia Repertory Theatre.  Lewis becomes the first woman of color to be named to the top artistic leadership position of a major Virginia arts organization.  Katrinah is an esteemed actor, singer, director, playwright and historical interpreter with over 15 years of professional experience. Check out her spotlight from the December 2020 newsletter here.

man wearing mask and standing in front of lights

Recent graduate ROBBIE O’BRIEN (BA 2020) was the Lead Check In for the Lincoln Site (AKA the ‘Celebrating America’ fireworks display) at the Covid-19 Memorial held on January 19th, the night before the presidential inauguration. Congrats Robbie!

Congratulations to MICHAEL PERRY (BFA ’82) on the Production Design for the movie Promising Young Woman starring Carey Mulligan and currently showing in Richmond at Bow Tie Cinemas.  Excellent reviews for all.

The Fine Arts Building on Broad Street will be renamed for MURRY N. DePILLARS the former Dean of the School of the Arts.   Many of us remember Murry fondly from our university years for encouragement and assistance when we needed it.  I personally remember him because he was easy to talk to, to talk out a problem with and had a really great laugh.  He was responsible for helping me receive an NEA grant which allowed me to complete my two books. He was responsible for much of the forward movement that happened to the Arts school during his almost 20 years as Dean.  -Liz Hopper

TODD EVANS (BFA ’97) built the four podiums used for the display of the HEISMAN TROPHY finalists while waiting for the eventual winner.

ELOISE ZIEGLER (BFA ’77) is announcing the birth of her second grandchild, Delores (Dolly) Wild White, to her son, Jeremy White and daughter-in-law Addison.  Jeremy stars on the Showtime series Shameless and is pictured with wife Addison and their two year old daughter Ezer.

STEVEN BARKER (BFA ’01) has taken a position in Maryland as a lecturer of design and technical theatre production. Steve (right) pictured with his husband Chris.

IN MEMORIUM: DELORES KING WILLIAMS

We are so sad to announce the death of DELORES KING WILLIAMS  (BFA ’83). Delores was well known in the DC/Atlantic area for her work in musicals, plays, cabarets, commercials, concerts and video productions.  She was a long time member of The Capitol Steps. She sang at the White House, Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and with the Washington National Opera.  She is a former soloist with the United States Army Band and was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award. We sent deepest condolences to all of her friends and family.

Dolores singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” in Carousel (Olney Theatre Center, 2015)
two people on stage in costumes
Delores and Deborah Hubbs in Carnival at VCU

Share your news with fellow alumni. Email Jerry Williams (jerry@tvjerry.com) or Liz Hopper (elizhopper12@gmail.com).

Compiled by Liz Hopper (Emeritus Faculty) and Jerry Williams (BFA ’71) for the January 2021 Theatre Alumni Newsletter