Work on a team and defeat ambiguity with innovation.
The VCUarts CoLaboratory (CoLab) is a post-disciplinary, variable-credit, internship program that provides students with opportunities in hands-on, innovative problem-solving.
Students develop career skills and create value in existing organizations and professions through the completion of research-intensive, industry-focused projects. Emphasis is on the collaborative development and commercial application of products that focus on emerging technologies.
A typical CoLab project:
- originates as a research concept within the university or from industry affiliates.
- places aspects of art and design at the core, yet does not fit neatly within any single discipline.
- develops around an emerging technology.
- targets potential industry sponsorship and/or commercialization.
ARTS 393 CoLab Internship
1–6 credits. (40 work hours per credit.). May be repeated for a maximum of 12 credits.
Internship and project details are determined by supervising professor(s) and project advisor(s).
Students participating in the CoLab internship program will develop the ability to:
- utilize research and problem-framing methods and techniques.
- develop and evaluate a project definition, justification, goals and outcomes.
- employ skills and problem-solving techniques that focus on emerging technologies.
- prioritize activities and set deadlines.
- utilize methods for individual and team organization of decision-making and tasks.
- develop visual and verbal documentation and presentation of concepts, process and conclusions.
- communicate effectively to a wide range of project participants in the university and industry.