Teacher Prep application available here.
All MAE + Licensure students must apply through the Department of Art Education and be accepted for departmental admission to the Art Education Teacher Preparation Program. Applications are due by March 1 (for fall enrollment in ARTE 501) or October 1 (for spring enrollment in ARTE 501). If students do not complete their applications on time with hard copies of passing score reports, they will not be guaranteed enrollment in ARTE 501 the following semester.
NEW! Per 2018 Virginia General Assembly changes for individuals seeking entry into an approved educator preparation program, Praxis Core is not required for admission to Teacher Prep. In response to this new legislation, VCU Art Education is looking forward to developing more holistic admissions criteria. The Departmental Undergraduate Committee will be considering and revising all Teacher Preparation admission criteria during the 2019-20 school year.
Requirements for departmental admission to teacher preparation 2019-20:
- Submission of completed Application to Teacher Preparation application by established deadline
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Passing scores on required VCLA
- New: Grade of “B” or higher in college level math course (student must provide unofficial transcript) OR
- Passing Praxis I Core Academic Skills for Educators Math exam or exemption with SAT or ACT scores (www.ets.org)
- No record of a felony conviction
- Completion of the Dispositions Acknowledgement Form (included with departmental application for Teacher Preparation)