Career Series #4: Hack for HireVCURams
Published on September 17, 2015
Quick hacks for using HireVCURams
HireVCURams is your personal career-development portal. You can use it to search for jobs and internships, register for an advising appointment and find out about upcoming career development events. It’s a powerful tool, but like many things, it takes a little getting used to. So I’m going to run through some of the basics.
How to log in
- Visit careers.vcu.edu
- Access HireVCURams using the HireVCURams drop down menu in the upper right corner
- Select student from the drop down
- Log in with your eID and password.
How to use the job and internship search
From your dashboard, click the “Jobs and internships” search drop down menu in the top navigation. Once you’re in the search feature, click advanced search to narrow your options by position type, industry, location and more.
To search for Federal Work-Study jobs:
Click Federal Work-Study in the drop down menu
To search for full-time, part-time and internships:
Click Jobs and internships from the drop down menu
How apply for opportunities
Before you apply, make sure you have uploaded your resume, cover letter and a list of references. You will not be able to apply to many opportunities if you do not do this first.
Uploading your documents
- Click “my account” in the top navigation
- From the drop-down menu, select “my documents”
- Upload your files.
How to make an advising appointment
Individual 30-minute appointments allow you to work one-on-one with a career adviser to craft your resume or cover letter or develop a strategy for finding a job or internship.
Here’s how to make an appointment:
- Click “make an appointment” from the left navigation under “I want to”
- Select the type of appointment and the date range from the drop down menus.
- Click search
- Select the time of the appointment you wish to make
- Receive a confirmation pop-up (you will also receive a confirmation email)