As a prospective music student, you are encouraged to spend a day shadowing a VCU music student. A shadow day gives you the opportunity to sit in on classes and rehearsals, meet our faculty and current music students, eat lunch for free in Shafer Dining Court, and get a feel for life on campus. If scheduling allows, we will also coordinate a free lesson for you with the faculty coordinator of your instrument!
To create a schedule that makes the most of your time, please submit the shadow request form at the bottom of this page. You will receive a confirmation via email of your request and further instructions.
Please note you must submit the form three weeks in advance of your visit. Any forms received after this point will be considered if there is availability.
All prospective students who wish to shadow in Fall 2016 may do so September 6 thru December 2, 2016. Those who wish to shadow in Spring 2017 may do so only January 24 thru April 28, 2017. Shadows will not be scheduled during the summer, on weekends, or on the following VCU holidays:
- VCU Reading Days – October 20 and 21, 2016
- VMEA Conference- November 17 and 18, 2016
- Thanksgiving observance – November 23, 24, and 25, 2016
- Finals & Winter closing – December 2, 2016 – January 24, 2017
- VCU Music Auditions – January 27, 2017
- President’s Day (VCU Music auditions) – February 20, 2017
- NATS Competition – February 24-25, 2017
- VCU Spring break – March 4 – 12, 2017
Recommended days for shadowing by area
On these days, you will have the best opportunities to sit in on our ensembles and various course offerings. We also invite you to check out our Music Department Events Calendar to see if there’s a performance that could coincide with your visit.
- Jazz Studies: Monday or Wednesday
- Voice: Monday – Thursday
- Guitar: Tuesday or Thursday
- Strings: Tuesday or Thursday
- Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion: Monday – Thursday
- Piano: Monday – Thursday