As a prospective music student, you are encouraged to spend a day shadowing a VCU music student. A shadow day gives you the opportunity to sit in on classes and rehearsals, meet our faculty and current music students, eat lunch for free in Shafer Dining Court, and get a feel for life on campus. If scheduling allows, we will also coordinate a free lesson for you with the faculty coordinator of your instrument!
To create a schedule that makes the most of your time, please submit the shadow request form at the bottom of this page. You will receive a confirmation via email of your request and further instructions.
Please note you must submit the form three weeks in advance of your visit. Any forms received after this point will be considered if there is availability.
All prospective students who wish to shadow in Fall 2015 may do so August 31 thru December 4, 2015. Those who wish to shadow in Spring 2016 may do so only January 20 thru April 29. Shadows will not be scheduled during the summer, on weekends, or on the following VCU holidays:
- Labor Day – September 7, 2015
- UCI World Championships – September 19-27, 2015
- VMEA Conference- November 19 and 20, 2015
- Thanksgiving observance – November 25, 26, and 27, 2015
- Winter closing – December 21, 2015 – January 25, 2016
- President’s Day (VCUmusic auditions) – February 15, 2016
- Spring break – March 6-13, 2016
Recommended days for shadowing by area
On these days, you will have the best opportunities to sit in on our ensembles and various course offerings. Please keep in mind this is a recommendation.
- Jazz Studies: Monday or Wednesday
- Voice: Monday – Thursday
- Guitar: Tuesday or Thursday
- Strings: Tuesday or Thursday
- Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion: Monday – Thursday
- Piano: Monday – Thursday