As a prospective music student, you are encouraged to spend a day shadowing a VCU music student. A shadowing day gives you the opportunity to sit in on classes and rehearsals, meet our faculty and current music students, and get a feel for life on campus. If scheduling allows, we will also coordinate a free lesson for you with the faculty coordinator of your instrument!
To create a schedule that makes the most of your time please submit the shadow request form at the bottom of this page. You will receive a confirmation via email of your request and further instructions.
Please note you must submit the form three weeks in advance of your visit. Any forms received after this point will be considered if there is availability.
All prospective students who wish to shadow in the Fall 2014 may do so only September thru December 5. Those who wish to shadow in the Spring 2015 may do so only January 20 thru April 28. Shadows will not be scheduled during the summer, on weekends, or on the following VCU holidays:
- Thanksgiving observance - November 26, 27 and 28, 2014
- Winter closing - December 20, 2014 through January 4, 2015
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 19, 2015
- Spring break – March 8-15, 2015
Recommended dates for shadowing by area
On these days you will have the opportunity to sit in on our ensembles and various course offerings. Please keep in mind this is a recommendation.
- Jazz Studies: Monday or Wednesday
- Voice: Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday
- Guitar: Tuesday or Thursday
- Strings: Tuesday or Thursday
- Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion: Monday – Thursday
- Piano: Monday – Thursday