The dates below are open to all instruments for Change of Major, Transfer and Freshmen applicants for Fall 2017, with any exceptions listed. Please be aware that auditions are only granted to those students who have complete applications on file with university admissions. (For information on how to apply to VCUmusic, please visit here)
- October 29, 2016: 12 – 3 PM – Spring 2017 Change of Major/Transfer Applicants only
- January 20, 2017: 3 – 7 PM – Open to all applicants
- January 27, 2017: 3 – 7 PM – Open to all applicants
- February 4, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – Piano, voice, guitar, strings auditions only
- February 11, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – No voice auditions
- February 20, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – Open to all applicants
Dress: You’ll want to present your best self on your audition day, so dress accordingly — semiformal or business attire is generally appropriate. Be sure that you can comfortably play your instrument in whatever you choose to wear.
What to bring: In general, auditionees only need to bring their instrument and music to the audition. There are special exceptions and additions for certain instruments, so be sure to read the audition requirements for your particular instrument. Please peruse the audition requirements section for the specific requirements for your instrument.
The audition day
Each audition day begins with check-in, where you’ll receive your audition time and schedule. Once you’re checked in, you will head into the concert hall to take the theory placement test. After you’ve completed your exam, you are welcome to enjoy some light refreshments and meet members of our faculty in the lobby. Then, you and your parents will convene in the concert hall for a greeting and introduction to the department.