Audition dates are listed below. A few days after you initiate your application, you will receive an email prompting you to request an audition date. (For information on how to apply to VCU Music, please visit here.)
- Saturday, October 29, 2016: 12 – 3 PM – Spring 2017 Change of Major/Transfer Applicants
- Friday, January 27, 2017: 3 – 7 PM – All applicants
- Saturday, February 4, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – Piano, voice, guitar, strings
- Saturday, February 11, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – Wind/percussion, jazz, piano, guitar, strings
- Monday, February 20, 2017: 12 – 6 PM – All applicants
Dress: You’ll want to present your best self on your audition day, so dress accordingly — semi-formal or business attire is generally appropriate. Be sure that you can comfortably play your instrument in whatever you choose to wear.
What to bring: In general, auditionees only need to bring their instrument and music to the audition. There are special exceptions and additions for certain instruments, so be sure to read the audition requirements section for the specific requirements for your instrument.
The audition day
There are five components to the Audition Day: 1) the theory placement test; 2) the audition (for which you will be given 15 minutes to warm up); 3) the interview; 4) the aural skills diagnostic; and 5) the keyboard diagnostic. You’ll be escorted to each of these sessions at designated times by a student ambassador. Meanwhile, your parents will attend a panel discussion and have the opportunity to ask questions of faculty, students, and alumni. University tours will be available to all students and their families during the day.