VCU Music offers a strong program to Wind/Percussion students. Solo performance study is complemented by an emphasis on professor/student and student/student collaboration.
Graduates of VCU Wind/Percussion studios are accomplished performers and experienced teachers. They have many years of major orchestral experience, an impressive discography, extensive publications and legions of former students who themselves are producing yet more generations of performers and teachers. Wind/percussion alumni hold positions in symphony orchestras and military bands worldwide and are educators at universities, conservatories and public and private schools throughout the country.
Our Wind/Percussion students have successfully competed in national competitions, including the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition, Music Teachers National Association Competition, International Trumpet Guild, College Band Directors National Association and the International Clarinet Association.
- Justin Alexander, Director of Percussion Studies, Coordinator of Music History
- Tabatha Easley, Flute
- Robert Ellithorpe, Trombone
- Bruce Hammel, Bassoon, Music Theory
- Jim Jacobson, Percussion
- Tony Martucci, Drum Set, SJE
- Alyssa McKeithen, Oboe
- William Messerschmidt, Percussion
- David Niethamer, Clarinet
- Albert Regni, Saxophone
- Rex Richardson, Trumpet, Jazz Studies
- Patrick Smith, Coordinator of Winds & Percussion, French Horn
- Brian Strawley, Trumpet
- Ross Walter, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- Charles West, Clarinet
- Stephanie Fairbairn Ycaza, Tuba
Interested in auditioning? Please view the audition tips.