Please contact Erin Freeman, Director of Choral Activities, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are interested in participating in Women’s Choir or Commonwealth Singers auditions will take place during the first days of each semester.
- If you are interested in Choral Arts Society there is no formal audition.
Auditions for the Spring Semester will be held on Tuesday, January 16 and Wednesday, January 17.
FOR WOMEN’S CHOIR:
There will be one audition day: Tuesday, January 16 from 2 – 3:30 (During regular class time). Singers will prepare two excerpts on one or more parts. For information and questions, please contact the conductor, Rebecca Tyree.
Excerpts are available here:
FOR COMMONWEALTH SINGERS:
There will be TWO rounds of auditions.
- Tuesday, January 16 – sign up for individual slot between 2pm and 5pm. Click here to signup. These auditions take place in the Black Music Center, Room 3007. For this audition, you should bring your excerpt (below) prepared to the best of your ability. You will be coached on it and vocalized.
- Tuesday evening, Dr. Freeman will post a list of those who have made it to Round 2.
- Wednesday, January 17 – 12 – 1:15. Round 2 audition will take place during class time with the full Commonwealth Singers Ensemble.
For each audition, preparation of an excerpt will be required. The excerpt is from Undine Smith Moore’s Scenes from Life of a Martyr, which Commonwealth Singers will be performing with the Richmond Symphony, and is available here: CS Audition Excerpts Spring 2018. A link to learning tools is available when you signup for an audition. Click here to signup
Contact Erin Freeman with any questions.
VCU Music Choral Ensembles (open to all students)
Women’s Choir, APPM 378. Conductor: Rebecca Tyree
Women’s Choir is an auditioned ensemble that delves into the greatest repertoire for female voices. An audition is required. Auditions to be held during the first week of classes.
We meet TTh from 2-3:25 p.m. 1 credit.
Commonwealth Singers, APPM 358. Conductor: Erin Freeman
Commonwealth Singers is a select mixed ensemble with a reputation for musical excellence. An audition is required. Auditions to be held during the first week of classes.
We meet MWF from noon-1:15 p.m. 1 credit.
Choral Arts Society, APPM 359. Conductor: Erin Freeman
Choral Arts Society is a mixed ensemble bringing the joy of singing to the VCU community & beyond. No Audition Required. Students will be screened for voice part placement and general musicianship on the first day of class in August.
We meet MW from 1:30-2:50 p.m. 1 credit.
Vocal Chamber Ensemble, APPM 377. Instructor: Erin Freeman
The Vocal Chamber Ensembles are small ensembles that study and perform a wide variety of a cappella and chamber music. Throughout the semester students develop rehearsal techniques, work on ensemble sound, diction and communication, and explore performance practices for the repertoire studied. Students will learn leadership techniques through self-directed rehearsals and receive hands-on coaching from instructors. We meet Tuesdays from 3:30 – 5:00 and Thursdays from 3:30 – 4:30. 1 credit.