With software and hardware ever-changing in the modern era, new students should always attend sophomore orientation for the most up-to-date information.
Kinetic Imaging Equipment
Required: computer, video camera, external hard drive for backup
- Over-the-ear studio headphones
- 4GB SD card (you will use this many, many times)
- 4GB USB memory stick (thumb drive)
- Audio recording equipment (Zoom H4n)
What computer to buy?
Can be a MAC or PC, desktop or laptop.
Animation, Video and Sound classrooms have MAC computers; 3D modeling and animation classroom uses PC computers (Dell), running Autodesk Maya.
Computer specifications – look at online system requirements for Adobe After Effects and Autodesk Maya
- 64-bit system, dual / multi-core Intel processor or AMD Phenom II processor (PC)
- 8 GB RAM or more
- Large capacity hard drive – 250 GB / more is better
- Hard drive speed SATA 3, 7200 mps
- External hard drive a must – 500 GB or more recommended
- Graphics card is important (look at software certified cards, online)
- USB 3.0 ports
- OpenGL 2.0–capable system
- Adobe and Maya certified Open GL graphics card
- Internet (wireless)
Software: (get student discount via Journeyed.com)
- Final Cut 7 is still used in the classroom. Not Final Cut X.
- Adobe CS6 (Creative Suite 6 –After Effects and Photoshop)
Video Camera – (some are available via KI equipment check out)
Good camera resource – B&H Photo and Video (bhphotovideo.com – go to Students/Educators tab at top)
- Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens & Basic Accessory Kit $690
- Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens $450
- Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit $480