Open to VCU and VCUQ employees only
About this opportunity
The Qatar Support Office seeks a Payroll Manager to oversee payroll and leave administration for all faculty and local hire staff located on the Qatar campus of the VCU School of the Arts. This position will analyze contracts, personal data forms, defined period contracts, and other salary documentation for VCUQatar faculty and local hire employees for processing in Payroll. Additionally, this position will prepare/review PAFS and compute complex calculations and key in appropriate systems for salary and allowance gross-to-net adjustments, retro payments, allowance changes, and deduction overrides.
- Researches, resolves, and reconciles data to ensure appropriate, accurate, and timely VCUQatar payroll transactions.
- Plans and conducts year end reconciliations in collaboration with appropriate offices.
- Reviews and authorizes manual checks for the purpose of resolving problems and meeting special compensation requirements.
- Analyzes payroll edits and final reports indicating inaccurate data and performs a payroll audit on pay, allowances and benefits following the completion of payroll process.
- Amends payroll errors within applicable policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with central Payroll and/or VCUQatar Human Resources Manager on issues preventing payment to employee and makes logical recommendations for solutions by applying advanced knowledge of payroll and financial policies and procedures.
- Prepares payroll distribution report for the VCU Qatar Finance & Administration after each payroll.
- Reviews and balances edits to payroll file before finalization and uploading through Kerry Bank and Qatar National Bank (QNB) S@hl Systems.
- Manages salary prepayment and true-up for the Qatar bank account; prepares and submits for reimbursement, bi-monthly prepayment IFTs to Qatar finance; prepares bi-monthly payroll true-up reconciliations for reimbursement; audits and confirms the Qatar bank file uploads; reconcile the QNB bank file upload reports amounts to the SAS QNET deduction report and journal entries keyed, identifying any differences and makes necessary adjustments; review bank file uploads to identify any rejections or errors on the file.
- Recognize and elevates sensitive and/or potential issues to supervisor and appropriate administrators.
- Ensures all payroll actions are supported by established and properly vetted policies and procedures.
- Serves as the timekeeper for VCUQatar faculty and local hire employees.
- Reviews all VCUQatar leave requests for accuracy and appropriate approval.
- Enters all leave transactions into Banner.
- Maintains a leave spreadsheet for VCUQatar faculty and local hire employees.
- Analyzes and audits leave reports and prepares necessary leave adjustments.
- Plans and conducts the reconciliation of the bi-annual leave audit.
- Provides consultation, guidance, and training to managers and employees regarding leave policies and procedures.
- Develops and updates training aids to assist managers and employees with leave.
Liaison to PricewaterhouseCoopers to assist in the calculation of tax protection payments
- Audits W-2 reports for processing.
- Prepares W-2 breakdowns at year end for PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), tax consultants for VCUQatar.
- Prepares and submits to PwC estimated earning information at the beginning of year for US taxpayers working in Qatar. Calculates an estimate of taxable gross and taxable benefits to be used for determining annual tax liability and payroll taxes to be withheld for the year.
- Prepares and submits to PwC mid-year estimated earning information for US taxpayers working in Qatar. Calculate an estimate of taxable gross and taxable benefits to be used for determining any adjustments needed to the beginning estimates of annual tax liability and payroll taxes to be withheld for the year.
- Calculates gross up amounts to be paid on the tax protection payments.
- Processes estimated W-4 and VA 4 Forms.
- Prepares W-2 breakdowns at year-end for PwC; prepares and submits a spreadsheet to PwC showing a breakdown of each employee’s W-2 form. Identifies amounts for paid and non-paid allowances (housing, transport, utilities, internet, tuition, etc.), imputed live, and other taxable benefits.
- Meets with faculty and PwC as needed.
Database, Record, Reporting, and Audit Administration
- Maintains payroll database of all VCUQatar faculty and local hire employees.
- Monitors employee withholdings to ensure proper allowance and benefit status.
- Analyzes all contracts and contract renewals to verify that all pay period allowances, benefits, and salary information is calculated accurately.
- Identifies and logs technical internal faults and escalates system issues to central Human Resources and/or IT support.
- Researches/gathers payroll and leave data for inclusion in financial statements, and creates/prepares adhoc analyses and reports for upper management.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by reviewing and updating policies and procedures.
- Identifies internal control weaknesses and works to enhance and/or develop resolutions or new policies to ensure the accuracy of data and compliance with applicable standards and specification.
- Collaborate with internal and external auditors to ensure compliance with applicable laws, polices, and procedures.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the University, on the phone and electronically.
- Ability to use office automation, Microsoft Word, Excel and basic software.
- Ability to provide quality customer service in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player and proven ability to solve problems independently and use available resources.
- Minimum five years of experience working in Payroll.
- Appropriate experience working with faculty and staff on an international campus.
- Experience and knowledge of VCU and VCUQatar timekeeping and leave policies and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Proven ability to attend to details and meet specified deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and interpret payroll and financial reports and data.
- Knowledge of Federal, State tax laws/guidelines and University Payroll policies and practices.
- Knowledge of Banner and SAS system.
- Ability to modify work schedule to meet the needs of the VCUQatar campus due to the different time zones.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the VCUQatar campus.
- Experience working with a professional tax preparation service (i.e. PriceWaterhouseCoopers).
Submit the following application materials via VCU eJobs at vcujobs.com:
- Letter of interest that conveys relevant professional experience
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of five professional references including names with titles and contact information (references will not be checked prior to candidates’ approval)
Only electronic applications submitted via VCU eJobs will be accepted.
The Letter of Interest should be submitted as a PDF in the “Cover Letter/Letter of Application” section in eJobs; the CV should be submitted as a PDF in the “Curriculum Vitae (CV)” section of eJobs; and the list of References should be submitted as a PDF in the “Other Document” section of eJobs.
Applications are due at the close of business on Thursday, April 6, 2017.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.