Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar (VCUQatar), offering programs in art and design, is one of six schools from leading American universities and two European institutions, that have established campuses in Education City, Doha, as a result of collaborative agreements between the universities and Qatar Foundation. Each of those universities brings to Qatar educational programs for which those institutions are especially renowned.
Established in 1998, VCUQatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking, a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history, and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City and has been joined by Weill Cornell Medical College, Texas A&M University, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College London.
VCUQatar is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse student population and workforce as a reflection of our commitment to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and interdisciplinary ways of learning.
VCUQatar is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Materials Curator to organize and manage a library of material samples, as well as a professional-level product literature collection. Reporting to the Director of Libraries, this 12-month, non-tenured faculty position is primarily responsible for supporting and facilitating the discovery, identification, and location of materials in support of the curricular and research needs of students and faculty from a range of design disciplines. This position will provide instructional and outreach services for the Materials Library, including the delivery of instruction to design classes and will procure materials internationally, and locally, to sustain and develop the collection according to curricular needs of the school and leading industry practice.
Additionally, this position will foster and cultivate working relationships with design firms, showrooms, manufacturers, and vendors to procure materials and to stay informed of contemporary materials practices; provide proactive educational services about the library and its collection to students, faculty, visitors, and other external collaborators; develop and maintain working relationships with relevant design communities both locally and abroad and design and curate materials exhibitions.
All VCUQatar faculty contribute to a culture of learning through participation in fulfilling the educational mission, support for accreditation standards, pursuit of professional research, participation in a faculty governance and service. The selected candidate will maintain an active research agenda as a member of the VCUQatar faculty and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or terminal degree required and/or professional experience that equates to a graduate degree.
- Advanced understanding of materials that are used across a range of design disciplines and throughout the professional materials industry.
- Ability to proactively manage and prioritize tasks and new initiatives.
- Experience building positive business and community relationships and facilitating external partnerships.
- Experience working with design firms, showrooms, manufacturers, and vendors.
- Experience coordinating materials exhibitions and facilitating information workshops.
- Experience organizing and/or cataloging collections.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUQatar.
- Experience working with university-level students and faculty.
- Graduate degree in a relevant art or design discipline.
- Knowledge of contemporary fabrication practices utilized in an arts and design environment.
Review of qualified applicants will begin February 6, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Process: Qualified applicants should submit electronically the following: Letter of interest, curriculum vitae, research statement, statement on teaching philosophy and names of five references including email and telephone contact information to the VCUQ eRecruit System. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.