Manager of Human Resources for the VCUarts Qatar Support Office
The School of the Arts is conducting an internal search for the Manager of Human Resources for the VCUarts-Qatar Support Office. Reporting to the VCUarts Director of Human Resources, this position is primarily responsible for overseeing key aspects of faculty personnel, including: recruitment; contract administration; salary administration; new faculty hires; logistical coordination; communication of HR information; employee relations; and contributing to the management and/or elevation of all other matters regarding faculty personnel at VCUQ. Based in the VCUarts Office of the Dean, this position is an integral member of the VCUarts and VCUarts-Qatar HR leadership team, and under the guidance of the VCUarts Director of HR, maintains a collaborative working relationship with the VCUQ Director of HR and the VCUQ HR team.
VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) is comprised of over 3,000 students and 16 nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts. US News & World Report ranks VCUarts as having the top public university art and design graduate programs in the nation. Located in Richmond, the capital of Virginia, VCU is an ethnically and culturally diverse urban institution. VCUarts is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus situated in Richmond’s historic Fan District. The school’s newest facility, the recently renovated Depot Building, houses a state of the art sound studio with motion capture capabilities, a 6,000 sq. ft. interdisciplinary research space and the new student art gallery. The new VCU Institute for Contemporary Art (ICA), designed by award-winning architect Steven Holl, is poised to open to the public in 2018 and will be dedicated to flexible and responsive exhibitions and performances that examine art, design, and performance from multiple interdisciplinary perspectives (ica.vcu.edu). VCUarts is within walking distance to the Richmond Arts District and the nationally-recognized Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is one mile from campus.
VCUarts-Qatar (VCUQ) is the Qatar campus of VCUarts. Established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation, VCUQ offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking, a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. VCUQ cultivates a dynamic intercultural environment of diverse research, learning and community engagement that propels the holistic development of exemplary artists, designers and scholars to build vibrant communities and diversified economies. Through its programs, VCUQ prepares graduates to become productive citizens who are able to contribute to the professional and cultural growth of Qatar and the Gulf area. Their rich and varied educational experiences introduces them to new ideas and the breadth of knowledge to successfully face the challenges of the future. VCUQ strives to contribute to the vitality of human, social, economic and environmental development in Qatar and the region through creative innovation, expression and collaboration.
This position is responsible for providing oversight of faculty personnel processes/procedures for full-time faculty and numerous adjunct faculty for VCUQ to include the key HR functional areas of recruitment; on-boarding for new faculty; a wide variety of faculty personnel actions; contract administration; salary administration; employee relations; faculty performance process; compliance; and the ongoing implementation of the HR Redesign and other university systems. This position serves as an expert resource/contact on a complex portfolio of faculty personnel matters and ensures that the highest standards of quality, diplomacy and integrity are upheld. This position keeps the VCUarts Director of HR informed of all personnel activities and requests from VCUQ and elevates critical personnel matters to the VCUarts Director of HR. Under the guidance of the VCUarts HR Director, this position communicates with the VCUQ Dean and other senior leaders/administrators at VCUQ. This position works collaboratively and in concert with the Office of the Assistant Vice President for HR, the Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention, and other home campus offices.
- An advanced degree, or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree, is required. College or graduate school concentration in human resources management; human resource development; business management; public policy administration; business; or a related field is preferred.
- Appropriate relevant professional experience in human resources, recruiting, employee relations, or a closely related field, preferably in a university setting.
- Superior written and oral communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of University administration.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions, take initiative, work independently, and exercise sound judgment independently without close supervision.
- Positive customer service skills and ability to communicate thoughtfully and diplomatically with internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to understand and quickly interpret complex HR policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical, teamwork and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work independently, utilize available resources and to prioritize and manage multiple assignments with attention to detail while adhering to deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Proven ability to establish effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated high level of problem-solving and decision-making.
- Ability to modify work schedule to meet the needs of candidates in different time zones as well as the VCUQ campus.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly to the VCUQ campus.
- Demonstrated ability to make clear decisions and remain calm with high level demands, requests and assignments.
- Ability to analyze financial/salary data.
- Proficiency in Excel and working with databases required.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- Experience with applicant tracking systems, preferably with People Admin eJobs.
- Working knowledge of Banner administrative system, preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
To apply, submit a letter outlining your interest in the position, a current CV, and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted prior to candidates’ approval), including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses via VCU eJobs. Only electronic applications submitted via eJobs will be accepted.
Applications are due Friday, October 20, 2017.
For questions about the application process or VCU eJobs, contact Ryan Ellington at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: 804.828.2787.
To read more about VCUarts: http://arts.vcu.edu
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.