Instruction and Access Services Librarian
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar (VCUarts Qatar), offering programs in art and design, is one of six schools from leading American universities and two European institutions, that have established campuses in Education City, Doha, as a result of collaborative agreements between the universities and Qatar Foundation. Each of those universities brings to Qatar educational programs for which those institutions are especially renowned.
Established in 1998, VCUarts Qatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking, a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history, and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUarts Qatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. VCUarts Qatar was the first campus established in Education City and has been joined by Weill Cornell Medical College, Texas A&M University, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College London.
VCUarts Qatar is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse student population and workforce as a reflection of our commitment to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and interdisciplinary ways of learning.
VCUarts Qatar is seeking an Instruction and Access Services Librarian to oversee, coordinate and assess the library’s information literacy program. Reporting to the Director of Libraries, this 12-month, non-tenured faculty position will utilize educational technologies to provide information literacy instruction; provide collection development for academic departments including acquisition, de-selection, and collection analysis for new curriculum; provide subject specific instruction for a range of arts and design disciplines, including Graphic Design, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Art History, Painting and Printmaking, Art Foundation as well as Liberal Arts and Sciences and Student Services; oversee reference and access services including circulation, interlibrary loan, course reserves, stacks management, and statistical tracking and analysis and formulates policies and procedures related to instruction and public access.
All VCUarts Qatar faculty contribute to a culture of learning through participation in fulfilling the educational mission, support for accreditation standards, pursuit of professional research, participation in a faculty governance and service. The selected candidate will maintain an active research agenda as a member of the VCUarts Qatar faculty and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library Science or advanced degree in a related and relevant discipline.
- Appropriate years of experience in an academic library.
- Experience working with an advanced ILS system.
- Experience with library instruction assessment.
- Experience teaching within a library instructional program.
- Experience with library instruction assessment and providing reference and research support in an academic library.
- Experience developing curriculum and learning outcomes for an academic library.
- Knowledge of teaching concepts and diverse learning styles.
- Knowledge of current and emerging educational technologies and the ability to utilize. them in the delivery of library instruction and information literacy outreach.
- Knowledge and understanding of information literacy concepts and standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to manage work-related responsibilities as well as the research and governance requirements for VCUarts Qatar full-time faculty.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUarts Qatar.
- Advanced degree in education and/or experience as an instructor of record in the post-secondary classroom.
- Experience working within an arts and design environment or other art-related field.
- Experience working with English as a Foreign Language (EFL) students in an academic environment.
Review of qualified applicants will begin February 6, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Process: Qualified applicants should submit electronically the following: Letter of interest, curriculum vitae, research statement, statement on teaching philosophy, and names of five references including email and telephone contact information to the VCUQ eRecruit System. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.