Director of Financial Planning and Operations
About VCUarts Qatar
VCUarts Qatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUarts Qatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUarts Qatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 41 countries.
VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUarts Qatar – the annual Tasmeem Doha and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium. VCUarts Qatar attracts globally recognized designers, academics and contributors to contemporary visual culture while fostering sustainable partnerships with the regional community that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUarts Qatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUarts Qatar has 157 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 363. VCUarts Qatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. VCUarts Qatar was joined by Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College of London.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
About the opportunity
VCUarts Qatar is seeking an experienced budget professional and self-motivating individual to fill the position of Director of Financial Planning and Operations. This strategic position is primarily responsible for the ongoing development, implementation, and assessment of internal budgets through regular evaluation of the funding impacts of VCUarts Qatar’s financial plan. This position will support a variety of budget development, fiscal and operational activities for the institution and will ensure compliance with all University fiscal policies and procedures. Additionally, this position will provide oversight of budget development and procurement operational activities and report directly to the Associate Dean for Administration.
- Analyzes budgets to identify deficiencies, excesses, trends and imbalances and ensures variances from the annual operating budget plan are identified and reported including recommendations for corrective measures.
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of Banner organizations (indexes) and month end reporting.
- Articulates complex financial data to a diverse professional community in the form of visual and written communication (e.g. graphs, charts, reports, presentation, etc.) and generates reports and integrates information from a variety of information sources.
- Responsible for the flow of financial information to the VCUarts Qatar Dean, Associate Dean for Administration, Joint Advisory Board and where necessary, external parties such as Qatar Foundation and Hamad bin Khalifa University.
- Advise the VCUarts Qatar Dean and Associate Dean for Administration of actions and potential financial risk.
- Supervise a team of finance and procurement staff and ensure compliance with all fiscal policies and procedures.
- Oversees procurement operations and vendor payments and provides on-site support for the travel and reimbursement system or process.
- Meets regularly with department Chairs, program and Administrative Directors to provide on-going support and guidance for budget development, management and tracking, and conduct training on departmental budget preparation and monitoring.
- Communicates regularly with the Qatar Foundation, VCUarts colleagues and other constituencies of VCUarts Qatar and travels to the home campus as required by ongoing business needs.
- Coordinates and oversees budget development for grants and sponsored research programs, and collaborates with key home campus offices on grant budget development.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues at VCUarts Qatar and at VCUarts in Richmond, Virginia to assist with the preparation of VCUarts Qatar budget submissions to the Joint Advisory Board, and the Qatar Foundation.
- Oversees student accounting records and resolutions of billing issues with Qatar Foundation.
- Builds and supports collaborative relationships with the VCUarts Qatar Dean’s Office and other administrators, Qatar Foundation, and partner universities in Education City.
- Maintains active membership and participation in professional budget and financial organizations both regionally and internationally.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or terminal degree required and/or professional experience that equates to a graduate degree.
- Appropriate supervisory experience managing professional staff, is highly desired.
- A minimum of five years of budget experience with a demonstrated commitment to working as an innovative member of a finance team.
- Proficiency in Banner or similar administrative applications is highly desired.
- Experience with budget modeling, data analysis and presentation and leadership skills in budget development.
- Ability to deliver budget presentations to diverse audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Established record of progressively responsible positions in areas of budget, financial analysis or cost accounting is essential.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to be thoughtful, respectful and patient and demonstrate sensitivity to different cultures.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of administrators, faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to work independently while organizing and prioritizing to meet deadlines.
- Superior record of a strong commitment to customer service.
- Ability to develop and support professional partnerships with internal and external constituents.
- A strong understanding of current developments in the profession is expected.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUarts Qatar.
- Master’s degree in business, finance, accounting or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Supervisory experience managing professional staff in a university setting preferred.
- Experience working in higher education finance preferred.
- Awareness of global and regional issues and their potential impact on VCUarts Qatar.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment.
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- Professional Development Opportunities
Submit the following application materials via VCU eJobs at vcujobs.com:
- Letter of interest that conveys relevant professional experience
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of five professional references including names with titles and contact information (references will not be checked prior to candidates’ approval)
Only electronic applications submitted via VCU eJobs will be accepted.
The Letter of Interest should be submitted as a PDF in the “Cover Letter/Letter of Application” section in eJobs; the CV should be submitted as a PDF in the “Curriculum Vitae (CV)” section of eJobs; and the list of References should be submitted as a PDF in the “Other Document” section of eJobs.
Applications are due by April 22, 2017.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.