Digital Solutions Architect
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUQatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 41 countries.
VCUQatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUQatar—the biennial Yasmeen Doha and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifah Islamic Art Symposium. VCUQatar attracts globally recognized designers, academics and contributors to contemporary visual culture while fostering sustainable partnerships with the regional community that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUQatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUQatar has 157 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 363. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. VCUQatar was joined by Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College of London.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
About the opportunity
The Digital Solutions Architect is a key position in the Department of Technology Services at VCUQatar that will increase international awareness through excellence in innovative web presence. This position will work collaboratively with the Communications department for content creation and development to represent each department. This position is responsible for VCUQatar’s digital design, web development and graphic design, compliance with current and future web accessibility and design standards. The successful candidate must be an independent, self-motivated collaborator with a strategic and analytical approach to innovative and established web platforms, problem-solving and excellence in client communications.
- Responsible for the overall web experience, including awareness of the latest development techniques, modern web standards and best practices.
- Implements and manages content management systems and web applications.
- Gather and refine user defined specifications and requirements based on technical needs of the university.
- Create and maintain documentation on all university digital solutions.
- Create system architecture models and or interactive web prototypes.
- Responsible for maintaining, expanding and scaling the university’s website.
- Create and manage the technical development and design of the university website.
- Responsible for following the best contemporary web security standards.
- Coach and mentor other team members to share knowledge and experience.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have an advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Proven track record of delivering complex platforms at scale in design and development.
- Experience working in a university environment is a plus.
- Proven digital solution development experience ideally in a high-scale environment.
- Strong understanding of current trends and knowledge in the profession is expected.
- Use and implementation of modern front end web programming techniques and frameworks such as HTML5, CSS3, APIs, Rest, JSON and frameworks related to ASP.NET, PHP and Python.
- Experience designing websites to meet institutional requirements and federal accessibility standards and cross-browser compatibility.
- Expert knowledge of the major professional graphic and web design software from Adobe. Experience and knowledge of working with Agile methodologies (TDD, SCRM, Kanban, etc.).
- Experience designing and implementing scalable and robust approaches with caching and security in mind.
- Demonstrated ability to convert large-scale print publications to web applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work on both Windows and Mac platforms.
- Ability to stay current with emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them to VCUQ technical operations and activities.
- Ability to lead the continuous improvement of the development process, practices, tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUQatar.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Digital Design or related field with coursework in web programming.
- Progressive years of working experience in professional communications or design office (minimum three years).
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and experience developing web-based database applications preferred.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Review of qualified applicants will begin May 5, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Process: Qualified applicants should submit the application materials listed below to the VCUQ eRecruit System. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Names of five references including email and telephone contact
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.