Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUQatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 41 countries.
VCUQatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUQatar—the biennial Tasmeem Doha and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium. VCUQatar attracts globally recognized designers, academics and contributors to contemporary visual culture while fostering sustainable partnerships with the regional community that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUQatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUQatar has 157 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 363. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. VCUQatar was joined by Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College of London.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
About the opportunity
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will provide collaborative leadership to guide and administer BFA programs in Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Painting and Printmaking; a BA in Art History; and an MFA in Design Studies. The Associate Dean will support an innovative education and research community in partnership with the Senior Director of Academic Advising and Career Services, the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Assistant Dean for Enrollment and Registration Services, and a committee of the academic chairs and directors. The Associate Dean will foster a shared contemporary vision and purpose among all academic departments; be an equitable administrator and enthusiastic advocate for VCUQatar and VCUarts; promote excellence in teaching; and oversee and encourage research and creative activity, teaching, service, and public engagement that demonstrates the richness of diversity in the learning experience and will ensure the integration of multicultural approaches and perspectives into instructional methods and research tools. The Associate Dean will lead and support institutional collaborations and will align academic offerings and activities with VCU policies and procedures in close partnership with VCUarts. The Associate Dean will develop collaborations across Education City universities and Qatar Foundation Centers to achieve the Qatar Foundation’s mission to “create a center of excellence in education and research that will help transform Qatar into a knowledge-based society”. In addition, the Associate Dean will possess the interpersonal skills and good humor necessary to work with a large and diverse faculty, staff, and student body. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean of VCUQatar, and participates on university and Qatar Foundation committees. The position oversees the academic departments, admissions, and the library.
- Provides vision to the ongoing assessment and development of the University strategic plan;
- Promotes excellence in teaching, creativity, research, and community engagement;
- Builds an engaged academic community with shared goals among faculty and staff that provides a forum for direct interaction with students in creative/academic contexts, affording opportunities to model scholarship within the programs;
- Thoughtfully mentors and evaluates department Chairs and Directors to achieve strategic objectives;
- Under the direction of the Dean of VCUQ, and in collaboration with the VCUarts Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs & Graduate Studies, guides Chairs and Directors to effectively mentor faculty through the promotion process;
- Supports curricular initiatives to create an educational community that innovates for the needs of Qatar, the Gulf Region, and the international art, design, and cultural communities;
- Ensures local, regional and international engagement in professional initiatives for faculty and students;
- Models flexibility and the ability to work in a team environment with the potential to develop new strategies for programming;
- Leads and supports academic opportunities that enhance the student experience;
- Facilitates and mediates all student academic issues within VCU policies;
- Ensures excellence in university academic personnel through oversight of recruitment;
- Build and support collaborative relationships with the VCUQ Dean’s Office; VCUarts Dean’s Office; VCU administrators; Qatar Foundation; and peer universities in Education City; travels to home campus as required by ongoing business needs and to bolster professional communication and relationships, and develop a deeper understanding of home campus culture and best practices;
- Maintains parallel academic programs between VCUarts and VCUQatar, with quality and integrity through ongoing assessment and collaboration with the home campus;
- In coordination with the Dean of VCUQ, VCUQ academic leadership, and VCUarts leadership, ensures successful accreditation outcomes with all accrediting organizations;
- Communicates regularly with VCUarts colleagues and other constituencies of VCUQatar and travels to the home campus as required;
- Monitors budgets and institutional funds focused on academic programs and supporting departments;
- Creates reports for the university board, accreditation organizations, and other university reporting requirements;
- Initiates partnerships with other educational institutions;
- Ensures adherence to VCU policies and procedures, and develops requests for exceptions based on requirements of the context;
- Participates on university and Education City committees;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have a PhD or terminal degree in design, visual art, or in a related or creative field, with relevant experience in an academic career. Candidates should possess a history of progressive responsibility in post-secondary teaching, undergraduate and graduate administration; experience preparing for accreditation reviews and online reporting processes (WEAVE); an academic career distinguished by a record of peer-reviewed publications, exhibitions, design projects, or comparable research accomplishments; demonstrated experience developing innovative educational initiatives; appropriate experience managing senior academic leadership; demonstrated competence creating a trusting and inclusive culture, experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining faculty and staff, and leadership in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among all students, faculty and staff; and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build consensus and work collaboratively with colleagues, students and the wider professional community. Academic experience with an international branch campus is highly desirable. Demonstrated experience in working in and fostering a culturally diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as part of senior administration at VCUQatar is required.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Submit the following application materials via VCU eJobs at vcujobs.com:
- Letter of Interest that conveys relevant academic and professional experience and describes experiences and/or professional service that inform world views and/or perspectives about minority group status, to include race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion, and disability
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of five professional references including names with titles and contact information (references will not be checked prior to candidates’ approval)
Only electronic applications submitted via VCU eJobs will be accepted.
The Letter of Interest should be submitted as a PDF in the “Cover Letter/Letter of Application” section in eJobs; the CV should be submitted as a PDF in the “Curriculum Vitae (CV)” section of eJobs; and the list of References should be submitted as a PDF in the “Other Document” section of eJobs.
Applications are due by Sunday, April 1, 2017.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.