cottingham

“For decades, my paintings have examined familiar, yet somewhat obsolete, objects from our recent past. Whether these canvases have depicted houses, movie marquees and other commercial signs, railroad cars, cameras, typewriters, or machine parts, the reference, for me, has always been to our mid-twentieth century consciousness, and the ingenuity and imagination prevailing in our culture at that time. I want to continue exploring the iconic power of these artifacts and the impact they have had on my life. In so doing, I hope to also convey to the viewer some sense of the American experience.”

– Robert Cottingham

Mr. Cottingham is an internationally known painter whose work is represented in the following collections:
The Tate Gallery in London, The Art Council of Great Britain in London, The Ludwig Collection in Cologne, Germany, The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C., The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art and The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Mr. Cottingham was a Visiting Artist in the Department of Communication Arts in 2006.

|