Position Number: F28350 and F08930
Position Location: Doha, Qatar
Position Begins: August 12, 2014
Review of Applications: Review of applications will begin November 30 and will continue until position is filled.
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, VCUQatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; Bachelor of Arts in art history, and, a Master of Fine Arts degree in design studies. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from more than 40 different countries.
VCUQatar strives to provide an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting. The university hosts the biennial international design conference Tasmeem Doha and supports the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium, attracting globally recognized designers, academics and thinkers while fostering sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. The university has substantial involvement with the emerging design industries in Qatar and is a significant catalyst for that growth. It has established itself as a center of excellence for education and research in art and design.
VCUQatar has 131 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 249. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and UCL have since joined the university.
Qatar is a liberal, hospitable and progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. English is the standard second language and the population of Qatar is approximately 1.65 million and growing – 350,000 Qatari, the remainder expatriates. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The US Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
- A doctorate in mathematics or a related discipline is required.
- Demonstrated record of excellence in teaching, with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience teaching at the undergraduate level English-language university settings is required.
- Established record of accomplishments in research or professional work in area of specialization is strongly preferred.
- Ability to teach mathematics to ESL/EFL learners is strongly preferred.
- Must possess verbal and written fluency in English, as all courses are taught in English.
- Must have strong collaborative and communication skills, and demonstrate enthusiasm toward teaching and interacting within in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUQ.
- Teaches discipline-related information in a manner consistent with accepted pedagogy in an American university.
- Maintains office hours to assist student learning, answer questions and work one-on-one with students.
- Prepares and delivers course material; monitors and records student attendance, and submits final grades to the Registrar.
- Develops and implements the curriculum to be used as approved by the department head.
- Uses strategies appropriate to student needs and resources and includes opportunities for practice and feedback.
- Administers and evaluates student learning through projects and examinations and provides grades to students that reflect their understanding of the concepts.
- Keeps up to date with current advances in both research and pedagogy, chooses appropriate teaching materials, prepares lectures, and supervises and mentors teaching assistants where applicable.
- Maintains an ongoing academic research practice that includes dissemination of results in peer-reviewed international conferences and other venues.
- Keeps up with current research activities in the discipline. This includes reading journal articles, attending conferences, and staying in touch with other researchers in the field.
- Serves on various committees in the university.
- Performs service activities to the “academic community,” such as organizing conferences and other service activities that may be requested by the Dean or department head.
- This position will perform all other duties as assigned.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Application Process: Qualified applicants who have a record of achievement appropriate to VCUQatar should submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vitae and the names of five references including email and telephone contact information to VCUQatar eRecruit. Only Electronic submissions will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability”.