Virginia Commonwealth University
School of the Arts in Qatar
Position: Director of Admissions
Position Number: FA3070
Location: Doha, Qatar
Application Deadline: The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, VCUQatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design and Painting & Printmaking and a Master of Fine Arts degree in Design Studies. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from more than 40 different countries.
VCUQatar strives to provide an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting. The university hosts the biennial international design conference Tasmeem Doha and supports the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium, attracting globally recognized designers, academics and thinkers while fostering sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. The university has substantial involvement with the emerging design industries in Qatar and is a significant catalyst for that growth. It has established itself as a center of excellence for education and research in art and design.
VCUQatar has 131 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 249. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. The university has since been joined by Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, and HEC Paris.
Qatar is a liberal, hospitable and progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. English is the standard second language and the population of Qatar is approximately 1.65 million and growing – 350,000 Qatari, the remainder expatriates. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (MATHAF) opened in 2010. The US Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
The Director of Admissions will be a dynamic, self-motivated and hands-on professional that leads the VCUQatar admissions team. The Director will create an innovative approach that will attract and recruit promising art and design students from Qatar, the region and globally for VCUQatar’s undergraduate and graduate programs. The Director will collaborate with university colleagues in creating strategic goals to achieve VCUQatar’s vision and mission. The Director will support collaborations across Education City with university partners and Qatar Foundation Centers to achieve the Qatar Foundation’s mission to “create a center of excellence in education and research that will help transform Qatar into a knowledge-based society”. The Director of Admissions reports directly to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and leads an admissions team of two recruiters and an admissions advisor.
- Directs all recruitment and admission of students for the undergraduate programs in Fashion Design, Interior Design, Graphic Design, and Painting & Printmaking, Art History and the graduate program in Design Studies;
- Leads and oversees all aspects of admissions operations, including planning; recruitment; admissions procedures for the freshman-level design foundation year, students matriculating to sophomore year and transfer students; records and reporting; and staffing and budgets;
- Regularly supports the ongoing assessment and development of the University’s strategic plan by anticipating new opportunities for recruitment;
- Routinely monitors and reports student enrollment by program and reports progress towards enrollment goals;
- Aligns recruitment activities to support the ambitions of the curricular programs through collaboration with VCUQatar colleagues, including program Chairs and Directors, Student Affairs, and Communications;
- Provides advising and follow-up for prospective students and their families;
- Develops operational plans based on ongoing research and knowledge of best industry practices;
- Develops and coordinates media and promotional requirements with the university’s Communication office;
- Regularly communicates with partners on the VCU home campus in Richmond, Virginia; including the VCU School of the Arts, the VCU Graduate School, and the VCU Office of Global Education;
- Routinely assesses and evaluates admissions procedures and policies to ensure university compliance and effectiveness in collaboration with the home campus;
- Represents VCUQatar Admissions with Education City partner universities;
- Travels locally, regionally and internationally to articulate the university vision and mission to achieve admission goals;
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have an advanced degree in education, management, recruiting and/or art and design or related field or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Minimum 5 years of admissions experience, with a proven record of progressive responsibilities and leadership skills that demonstrate success at shaping enrollment at an accredited college or university. Preference will be given to candidates with experience at an art and design school.
- Strategic and analytic thinker, who exhibits engagement, creativity, problem solving skills and organizational skills.
- A proven record of accomplishment in recruitment and a strong understanding of the admissions profession.
- Exceptional communication skills, including listening, writing, and speaking skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel.
- Ability to develop and maintain favorable external and internal partnerships with the various constituencies of VCUQatar.
- Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills and the ability to effectively and positively interact with a diverse range of people and develop a team in an inclusive manner.
- Experience in or potential to work in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Experience in both undergraduate and graduate admissions.
- Experience with Filemaker and the Banner Administration system.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends in higher education admissions and an ability to embrace experimental approaches to student recruiting.
- Experience with innovative applications of technology and/or marketing tools to attract potential students.
- Experience in planning and evaluating admissions services and staff.
- International work experience.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Application Process: Qualified applicants who have a record of achievement appropriate to VCUQatar should submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vitae and the names of five references including email and telephone contact information to VCUQatar eRecruit. Only Electronic submissions will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.