Position Number: FAA820
Position Location: Doha, Qatar
Position Begins: July 1, 2014
Review of Applications Begins: October 6, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled.
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, VCUQatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; Bachelor of Arts in art history, and, a Master of Fine Arts degree in design studies. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from more than 40 different countries.
VCUQatar strives to provide an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting. The university hosts the biennial international design conference Tasmeem Doha and supports the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium, attracting globally recognized designers, academics and thinkers while fostering sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. The university has substantial involvement with the emerging design industries in Qatar and is a significant catalyst for that growth. It has established itself as a center of excellence for education and research in art and design.
VCUQatar has 131 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 249. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and UCL have since joined the university.
Qatar is a liberal, hospitable and progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. English is the standard second language and the population of Qatar is approximately 1.65 million and growing – 350,000 Qatari, the remainder expatriates. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The US Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will provide collaborative leadership to guide and administer BFA programs in Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Painting and Printmaking; a BA in Art History; and an MFA in Design Studies. The Associate Dean will support an innovative education and research community in partnership with the Associate Dean of Research & Development, the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, and a committee of the academic chairs and directors. The Associate Dean will create a shared vision and purpose among all academic departments; promote excellence in teaching; oversee faculty teaching, research and service activities; lead and support institutional collaborations; and align academic offerings and activities with VCU policies and procedures in partnership with VCU School of the Arts and other VCU offices. The Associate Dean will develop collaborations across Education City universities and Qatar Foundation Centers to achieve the Qatar Foundation’s mission to “create a center of excellence in education and research that will help transform Qatar into a knowledge-based society”. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean at VCUQatar, and participates on university and Qatar Foundation committees. The position oversees the academic departments, Admissions, Library and Registrar.
• Provides vision to the ongoing assessment and development of the University strategic plan
• Builds an engaged academic community with shared goals among faculty and staff
• Mentors and evaluates department Chairs and Directors to achieve strategic objectives and to ensure the highest quality faculty and teaching effectiveness
• Supports curricular initiatives to create an educational community that innovates for the needs of Qatar, the Gulf Region, and the international design and cultural communities
• Ensures local, regional and international engagement in professional initiatives for faculty and students
• Leads and supports academic opportunities that enhance the student experience
• Facilitates and mediates all student academic issues within VCU policies
• Ensures excellence in university academic personnel through oversight of recruitment
• Maintains parallel academic programs between VCU School of the Arts in Richmond and Qatar, with quality and integrity through ongoing assessment and cooperation
• Ensures successful accreditation outcomes with all accrediting organizations
• Monitors budgets and institutional funds focused on academic programs and supporting departments
• Creates reports for the university board, accreditation organizations, and other university reporting requirements
• Initiates partnerships with other educational institutions
• Ensures adherence to VCU policies and procedures, and develops requests for exceptions based on requirements of the context
• Participates on university and Education City committees
• This position will perform all other duties as assigned
Successful candidates will have a PhD or terminal degree in design, visual art, or in a related or creative field, with relevant experience in an academic career. Candidates should possess a history of progressive responsibility in post-secondary teaching, undergraduate and graduate administration; experience preparing for accreditation reviews and online reporting processes (WEAVE); an academic career distinguished by a record of peer-reviewed publications, exhibitions, design projects, or comparable research accomplishments; demonstrated innovative educational initiatives; experience with management of senior academic leadership; and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build consensus and work collaboratively with colleagues, students and the wider professional community. Academic experience in a culturally diverse, international setting is a benefit. Demonstrated experience in working in and fostering a culturally diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as part of senior administration at VCUQatar is required.
• Competitive international salary
• Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
• 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
• Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
• Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
• Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
• Monthly transportation allowance
• Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
• International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Application Process: Qualified applicants who have a record of achievement appropriate to VCUQatar should submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vita and the names of five references including email and telephone contact information to VCUQatar eRecruit. Only Electronic submissions will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.