Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts
Full time Non tenure track position, 12 months beginning spring 2013
Application Deadline: To be considered, applications are due by Friday, March 15, 2013
Department and University:
The Department of Craft/Material Studies is one of 15 Departments, within the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. The department specializes in five media areas: Clay, Metal, Wood, Glass and Fiber. We offer both breadth and depth across the media areas and have one of the few departments in the nation to offer all five craft disciplines at the BFA and MFA levels. U.S News & World Report currently rank our MFA programs in Fiber #4, Glass #5, Metals #10, and Ceramics #9. We have over 120 undergraduate students, 15 graduate students, 7 full-time faculty members, and several adjunct faculty.
The School of the Arts is comprised of over 3000 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels and 15 nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts. U.S. News & World Report ranks the School of the Arts as the top public university art school in the nation. Virginia Commonwealth University is an urban university with over 31,000 students located in Richmond, Virginia. Richmond is two hours south of Washington, D.C. and is situated between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Virginia/North Carolina coast. Richmond is the state capital and home to numerous historic sites; it functions as a visual arts, design and performing arts center regionally and nationally.
The Department of Craft/Material Studies (CMS) is seeking a dynamic creative colleague to support the academic, instructional, technical, and safety needs of undergraduates and graduates using the CMS Studio. The Studio Manager will oversee the CMS Studio which provides facilities for students in the department’s five tracks; including wood, fiber, glass, metal, and ceramics. This position will have teaching responsibilities that could range from the sophomore to graduate level and could include beginning technique studio courses, intermediate media area studio course, advanced media area studio courses, seminars, or graduate level courses. The faculty member will collaborate with other department faculty on methods to incorporate and utilize the studio areas in the departmental curriculum, both in the undergraduate and graduate programs. The faculty member should have skills and interests that complement and expand the existing expertise of the faculty and staff in the department.
This is a full time 12-month non tenure track faculty position.
- MFA in ceramics or a related discipline or equivalent professional experience and training that equates to an MFA
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience
- Active professional practice in any of the following areas: Fiber, Glass, Metal, or Ceramics
- Minimum 5 years of experience overseeing a large, complex studio environment supporting the needs of multiple media areas
- The faculty member must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- Experience teaching in a program in any of the following areas: Fiber, Glass, Metal, or Ceramics
- Studio management experience in a higher education setting
- Possess a broad understanding of academic affairs related to undergraduate and graduate studies; preferably in an arts higher education environment
Application: Deadline March 15, 2013 for consideration:
- Required – Letter of Application (PDF) – with file Titled “your last name_first name–Application_Letter”
- Curriculum Vitae (PDF) – with file Titled “your last name_first name–CV” Include address, phone, e-mail and website link if available
- Required – Teaching Philosophy (PDF) – with file Titled “your last name_first name–Teaching_Philosophy”
- Required – Portfolio – 20 images of personal work with images list (all within a single PDF file) with file Titled “your last name_first name–Portfolio”
- Optional – Portfolio – 20 images of student work with description of assignment (all within a single PDF file) with file Titled “your last name_first name–StudentWORK”
- Required – Contact information for three references (PDF) – with file Titled “your last name_first name–References” Including name, title, email, and phone numbers Only electronic applications will be accepted.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Debbie Quick, Search Committee Chair
Virginia Commonwealth University
P.O. Box 842522
Richmond, VA 23284-2522
To read the full position description, a list of major responsibilities and qualifications, and to learn more about VCUarts, visit: http://arts.vcu.edu
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.