Student Teacher Blog

Paintings On Found Fabric: Following Intuition

posted on May 5, 2017 in Spring 2017, Student Teacher Blog

With my Art ¾ students we stretched our own painting surface. Instead of using a blank canvas we used found fabrics that would inspire the paintings. Some students even sewed together a collage of fabrics before stretching the fabrics over the stretcher bars.
I introduced this prompt to my students first with artist who related to the project. Many of these artist mix patterns and textures and some really do paint on found fabric.

Here are some of the artists that were shown to the students:

MICKALENE THOMAS

MINNA GILLIGAN

KEHINDE WILEY

NJIDEKA AKUNYILI CROSBY

The students had never stretched their own surface for painting and I think it was a good experience for them. It did take MUCH longer than I expected it to. Overall for this project my students had about 7 work days. Before we even selected the fabrics for the full painting, my students did material tests on different types of fabrics.

The material tests were really successful because it allowed for the students to think about what fabric they might like to paint on and generate some ideas in a low risk way.

My students in this class also took one class period to participate in in-progress-critiques that really helped generate conversation, meaning, and new ideas for my students.

Here are some examples of student’s paintings in their final work days!

VCUarts

© VCUarts Department of Art Education   Franklin Terrace   |   812 West Franklin Street, Box 843084, Richmond, VA 23284   |   804.828.7154